Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I recently brought home a 4 month old cockatiel and was told that he was a dna tested male by the breeder and that he was a pearl. I joined a Facebook group and was posting pictures of him (I post tons of pictures of my pets lol I am a bit obsessive) and was told that he was definitely female. One because he has pearling and two because he has a yellow tail. Should I get another dna test or is he just too young and to tell since he hasn’t had his first molt yet? Either way female or male it’s my baby but it would be nice to know for sure because I thought I was sure before but now I’m not.
Bird Beak Organism Parrot Feather
Bird Beak Art Poultry Chicken
Bird Reptile Beak Galliformes Scaled reptile

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
He’s wrong about that it’s a female males have no markings on the tail female have markings on the tail
I might have to contact her, I did pay extra for a dna test, I’m going to take Kirby to the vet first and get another dna test done though first. I wasn’t sure because Kirby is so young and hasn’t had their first molt yet so I didn’t know if their markings changed or not. I was told all babies have female markings at first by some and then by others that were absolutely sure it was female. (Either way Kirby is an absolute sweetheart so I lucked out)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any wish you luck
I might have to contact her, I did pay extra for a dna test, I’m going to take Kirby to the vet first and get another dna test done though first. I wasn’t sure because Kirby is so young and hasn’t had their first molt yet so I didn’t know if their markings changed or not. I was told all babies have female markings at first by some and then by others that were absolutely sure it was female. (Either way Kirby is an absolute sweetheart so I l
I might have to contact her, I did pay extra for a dna test, I’m going to take Kirby to the vet first and get another dna test done though first. I wasn’t sure because Kirby is so young and hasn’t had their first molt yet so I didn’t know if their markings changed or not. I was told all babies have female markings at first by some and then by others that were absolutely sure it was female. (Either way Kirby is an absolute sweetheart so I lucked out)
any wish you luck with your other DNA test I hope you have the answer to your prayers and wish you all your best with your gorgeous female or male good health ❤

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could try wing spot sexing him/her. It worked very well for my 3 month old cockatiel. I'll insert the link so you can compare. Hopefully, that will help.
Thanks for sharing. From what those pictures say, markings mean male on the tail feathers, no markings are female? I keep hearing different things lol. Kirby is a pearl right?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry, when I took a screenshot of the picture, it cut off a piece of the bottom. It says that the barring and mottling of the tail feathers has nothing to do with the sex of the bird. Yes, Kirby is definitely a pearl. I have two pearl cockatiels myself, and they are both DNA'd females. One has markings all over her tails while the other has barely any so I would say that the markings on the tails don't determine whether your bird is male or female. In the first picture, if you look where I circled, that is my female with lots of markings. The second picture is of my other female with very little to no markings. And the last picture is of a close up of their tails. Also, did you get a chance to see under Kirby's wings?

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been trying when he/she stretches their wings to take a quick look, don’t want to stretch them out and look as Kirby doesn’t like being handled there too much. There are spots near the end of under the wing but it doesn’t look like there are any closer to the body so it’s like half has spots. So that means female?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, it's a little hard to tell with that picture, but by what you said, it sounds like you have a male. Because when males are young, they will have spots near the end of their wing but not near the body which sounds just like how you described Kirby's wings. If Kirby was a female, he/she would have spots down the whole length of the wing. Is Kirby quite vocal or not really?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, it's a little hard to tell with that picture, but by what you said, it sounds like you have a male. Because when males are young, they will have spots near the end of their wing but not near the body which sounds just like how you described Kirby's wings. If Kirby was a female, he/she would have spots down the whole length of the wing. Is Kirby quite vocal or not really?
Kirby is very vocal but doesn’t whistle, he/she constantly makes this static baby noise that they make when they’re hungry and will chirp and contact call a lot. They do a lot of head bobbing and is very playful and adventurous. Very sweet, kind of a Velcro bird. There is so much mixed information, so I’m confused lol the more I google and look things up the more confused I get. I feel like Kirby has both male and female characteristics. Either way I love this little bird.

This is a constant noise that Kirby makes lol.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes, that sound is what my cockatiels made when they were babies as well. It doesn't mean they are male or female. Since Kirby was DNA'd male, I would say that he is male because DNA testing is most always correct. Do you know the mutations of the parents? Since pearl is sex-linked, the parents' mutations could determine whether Kirby is indeed a male or a female. Do you also know the mutations of Kirby's siblings?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, that sound is what my cockatiels made when they were babies as well. It doesn't mean they are male or female. Since Kirby was DNA'd male, I would say that he is male because DNA testing is most always correct. Do you know the mutations of the parents? Since pearl is sex-linked, the parents' mutations could determine whether Kirby is indeed a male or a female. Do you also know the mutations of Kirby's siblings?
I am not sure about the parent but the siblings were all pearled and one was pearl pied. I am not sure of Kirby's gender now but the breeder said dna sexed male. I googled and he does so some male-ish things like the beak tapping, but he is pretty quiet like a female and doesn't care for reflections in the mirror. He makes noise but only contact calls when he/she wants me to come get them. Kirby is very inquisitive and playful, I don't know if that is a baby trait or a male/female trait. But he is constantly finding things to play with and most of the time its things he shouldn't have lol. Thanks for all the help! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello, I recently brought home a 4 month old cockatiel and was told that he was a dna tested male by the breeder and that he was a pearl. I joined a Facebook group and was posting pictures of him (I post tons of pictures of my pets lol I am a bit obsessive) and was told that he was definitely female. One because he has pearling and two because he has a yellow tail. Should I get another dna test or is he just too young and to tell since he hasn’t had his first molt yet? Either way female or male it’s my baby but it would be nice to know for sure because I thought I was sure before but now I’m not. View attachment 94138 View attachment 94139 View attachment 94140
Hello, I recently brought home a 4 month old cockatiel and was told that he was a dna tested male by the breeder and that he was a pearl. I joined a Facebook group and was posting pictures of him (I post tons of pictures of my pets lol I am a bit obsessive) and was told that he was definitely female. One because he has pearling and two because he has a yellow tail. Should I get another dna test or is he just too young and to tell since he hasn’t had his first molt yet? Either way female or male it’s my baby but it would be nice to know for sure because I thought I was sure before but now I’m not. View attachment 94138 View attachment 94139 View attachment 94140
It is too early to tell for sure. It might be a male. Pearls are a bit difficult to sex at an early age. I have this issue with my pearls. If you absolutely need to know DNA test him/her. From the look of it it is a male.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
4 months old is TO YOUNG to actually say it looks like a female IMO.....They will look like a female by coloring till the first primary feathers molt.... I see what looks potentially male feathers (primes) on the baby too!..... I would not worry to much. Tho I have met breeders; I said I needed a female.....( they happen to have a dna female),not ( tiels) - I bought TWO ("DNA'd" female - B&G's,) Then haha Two more birds again......later. is it trying to whistle, or talk yet.....? if he is a male He will turn beautiful Grey...near a year (coverts molt). :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts