Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I’m new here. I had a cockatiel when I was a kid but as an adult have had 3 parrotlets. My last parrotlet went to the rainbow bridge a year ago at 11 years old.
Hubby & I have decided we would like to get a cockatiel this time. We really love the basic white face & would like a boy.
I’m really nervous about finding a good breeder & would need one that would ship by plane.
Does anyone have any suggestions? The last breeder I talked to wanted to charge me for every sex test til a boy was found. I don’t mind paying extra or however breeders do it but all I kept thinking is a could pay $100+ & still not find my boy. The breeder said that people don’t ask for a certain sex & I then found out she sells to pet shops. 😕

Feeling discouraged. Want a happy, healthy boy from a good breeder but don’t know how to find one.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If that were a true breeder, they wouldn't be thinking of money; they would be thinking of the birds. In Canada, where I live, people are constantly asking breeders for a certain sex, and I as a breeder, will even DNA for no extra cost. Some breeders will ask if the person buying wants to pay a little extra for a DNA test, but they won't force the person to pay until they find a certain sex. That is not right! I'm not quite sure where you live but if you check pet stores, the birds aren't going to be guaranteed tamed or DNA'd. True breeders will usually have their own website or Facebook group or something that you can look up. They will also try working with you in finding a good bird instead of just asking for money. I hope you can find a whiteface boy! 😊

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi misstiel.

That’s exactly how I feel. I’ve had experience with enough breeders to know this was not right. I told my husband & he immediately said she probably sells to pet shops & he was correct.

I feel like a good breeder would never sell to a pet shop either & I would never buy from a pet shop for the reason you said but also because I wouldn’t know how healthy they would be.

The crazy thing is I got this woman’s name from the breeder I was going to get a parrotlet from if I got one. She also used to breed cockatiels. I know she’s a good breeder but she is obviously unaware of this woman’s practices.

I am in Indiana & haven’t been able to find good bird breeders so I have always had them shipped by plane.

Do you have any suggestions where I should post this question to the board?

Thank you.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't know where you could post your question in order to get some answers. Sadly, I only know Canadian breeders, and I'm not sure if you would want to or can ship from there. Because this forum is for anyone around the world, I don't know how many Americans will see your post or where to post it so they see it. I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be willing but yeah it may not be possible or could be complicated.

Thanks so much for your response & good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts