Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just got one of those green organic non stick pans and I wanted to make sure it was safe for my birds. I tried to lok it up but found l nothing on the subject. It is supposed to be eco friendly, without any PTFE and PFOA. It's that 'as seen on TV' pan. Does it sound fine to use around the birds?

(I know that teflon pans are a definate no-no)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
PTFE is teflon. So i'd say if it is free of PTFE coating then it is safe.

The only time teflon fumes are released from an undamaged non-stick pan is when it is overheated. Damaged non-stick pans (with scratches in the coating) will release fumes at lower temperatures.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PTFE is teflon. So i'd say if it is free of PTFE coating then it is safe.

The only time teflon fumes are released from an undamaged non-stick pan is when it is overheated. Damaged non-stick pans (with scratches in the coating) will release fumes at lower temperatures.
Thanks for the info! I always cook everything at pretty low temps, the food turns out better that way anyways. And it's brand new, I wont use any scratchy sponges to clean it or anything, so it should stay undamaged for quite a while (then I'll just throw it out) I really appreciate the quick answer! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll keep that in mind. The pan says it does not have any in there though, it's made of ceramic I believe. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts