Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have a new addition to our family! 13 week old Border Collie, Bear.

We've had him just over 24 hours and so far he has been the EASIEST puppy i've ever had. Not even kidding.

I put him in the upstairs bathroom (next to our bedroom) last night, and he only had two short moments where he howled; once just after I put him to bed and once when danny got up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I only had to take him out twice and that's because I set my alarm to wake me up to do it, other than that he slept right through and woke me up at 6:30am which is when he's normally up for the day.

No bathroom accidents in the house so far! He hovers around the front door if he needs to "go", and he starts whining if I take too long to get him out. My house is mostly carpet and I have an enzyme cleaner to use on "accident spots" from previous puppies but so far haven't needed to use it! Very happy.

He's in a teething "chewy" phase so Danny made him a rope toy, which is just a length of pet-friendly rope with a few knots in it with the ends sealed off to prevent fraying and he LOVES it. Any time he goes for anything he shouldn't have (shoes, furniture, etc) I just redirect his attention to his rope toy and he's happy as can be. He has a crap ton of other toys including teething toys but he just loves this inexpensive, homemade rope thing lol!

Love him :love:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
What a cutie :D Good to hear he's doing so well! An easy puppy is definitely a Godsend, LOL

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I introduced him to Zoe tonight. It went well and it was an excellent opportunity for teaching him his name via clicker training. He was fixated on Zoe (didn't want to chase her though!) so every now and then i'd call his name and if he turned around to look at me i'd click + treat. I'm pretty confident in calling his name and expecting a response now, it's been great!

I had "charged" the clicker by clicking and giving him a tiny treat so he recognizes the click means treat. If you want to try clicker training with your birds (it works VERY well with birds) I recommend starting off this way.

A clicker is such an amazing tool. The second your pet shows a good behaviour you click and treat. They learn to associate the click with a positive response, so even if you don't have a food orientated dog (bear is more about toys) you can still click and give a reward (throw a ball or play tug for a short time)

It's also works brilliantly as a bridge while training more complex commands or tricks. For example I taught my Lab to roll over, but we did it in stages, each stage with a click + treat.

Once your baby knows click = treat the possibilities are endless! And once they master the command/trick you can reduce the amount of treats, then reduce the amount of clicks, until they just do it when you ask. XD

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
What an adorable baby!!! Sounds super smart too! :love:

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
He is adorable, oh my! :love:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Person: What a cool looking dog! What breed?
Me: He's a border collie
Person: Oh wow! I've never seen a pure white one before. Would you consider him albino?
Me: ... *traces finger around his light brown patches* probably not, no..

:lol::lol::lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts