Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

We would like to add a new parrot to our family, so I was shopping for something else BUT they had this poor baby all alone and broke my heart :(
I dont feel that is is right to keep parrots alone without toys and in such small cages :(
Id like to know if it is a male or a female before taking any decisions, because we already have birds and Id like to avoid territorial drama as much as possible.
Of course my birds have space, great cages and outside playtime, so that is not a concern :)
Could you help me out? Is a male or a female? It looks like a female to me, but maybe it is just wishful thinking

PS:
The petshop owners says that it is about 4 or 5 months old and DNA sexing isn't available in Malta
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-14 at 16.16.43.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-14 at 16.16.10.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-14 at 16.15.55.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-07-14 at 16.15.40.jpeg
know

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd say it's a female due to the barring on the tail and the pearls that it still retained after it's first molt (which takes place at around 5 months of age) White spots under it's wings also means it's a female, if it has any. Was the cockatiel whistling or quiet? If it was whistling at all it's a male, however if it was quiet or just squawking, I would resemble female bahaviour. Of course, we can't be sure but the visuals markings are pointing towards a female.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd say it's a female due to the barring on the tail and the pearls that it still retained after it's first molt (which takes place at around 5 months of age) White spots under it's wings also means it's a female, if it has any. Was the cockatiel whistling or quiet? If it was whistling at all it's a male, however if it was quiet or just squawking, I would resemble female bahaviour. Of course, we can't be sure but the visuals markings are pointing towards a female.
Hi!
Long story short, I also assume it was a female.
The bird was shivering and looked very scared, the cloaca was dirty, the food had bugs, the water was filthy...
She was next to a ringneck with no toes on one leg :(
I got it home yesterday and today has been whistling 😀
I think I got a very young male, but it doesn't matter. He will be very happy 😊

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi!
Long story short, I also assume it was a female.
The bird was shivering and looked very scared, the cloaca was dirty, the food had bugs, the water was filthy...
She was next to a ringneck with no toes on one leg :(
I got it home yesterday and today has been whistling 😀
I think I got a very young male, but it doesn't matter. He will be very happy 😊
Goodness! That sounds horrible... I'm glad you decided to take the cockatiel into your care! And indeed if it's whistling it may be a male, that's not to say your two male cockatiels won't get along though! They might just need to get used to each others presence before they decide that they are part of the same flock :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Goodness! That sounds horrible... I'm glad you decided to take the cockatiel into your care! And indeed if it's whistling it may be a male, that's not to say your two male cockatiels won't get along though! They might just need to get used to each others presence before they decide that they are part of the same flock :)
That makes me very happy 😊
I was a little nervous, but so far everything has gone smoothly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts