Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In just over a week, I will be bringing THIS home...is she not the cutest thing ever? :love:

She's a baby African hedgehog, and the breeder tells me she is a sweetheart. I haven't decided on a name yet.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Does she have a name yet? Or are you waiting until she comes home?

What kind of habitat do these require? What do they eat? Are they as prickly as they look?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm just really curious lol!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
What kind of habitat do these require? What do they eat? Are they as prickly as they look?
Hahahaa, they're pretty awesome. I had a friend that had one and she kept her in the bottom half of a double flight cage. They're prefer darkness and like places to hide. At least her's did, she was nocturnal. They're aren't as prickly as they look.

Adorable! Good luck! :love:

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Aww, super adorable. Do you still have Porkchop?

Did you know it's illegal to have a pet hedgehog in California?

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does she have a name yet? Or are you waiting until she comes home?

Sorry for all the questions, i'm just really curious lol!
I do not have a name yet...haven't thought of one yet! Their care is fairly simple...they require a large cage with lots of floor space, a wheel to run on, toys, and they need to be fed a diet consisting of high-quality catfood and insects such as meal worms and dubia roaches. They're nocturnal and not social animals, but they can bond with their owners if you put in enough time and patience. They also require a heat source otherwise they go into hibernation, which is very dangerous. They're prickly, yes, but it's easy to pick them up, hold them etc as long as they aren't tightly balled up (a defense mechanism, which makes their quills stick straight out).

Hahahaa, they're pretty awesome. I had a friend that had one and she kept her in the bottom half of a double flight cage. They're prefer darkness and like places to hide. At least her's did, she was nocturnal. They aren't as prickly as they look.

Adorable! Good luck! :love:
Thanks! :)

Aww, super adorable. Do you still have Porkchop?

Did you know it's illegal to have a pet hedgehog in California?
I did know, but luckily I am in Oregon, not Cali. ;) They're perfectly legal here and no reputable breeder would sell one to a California resident.

I do not have Porkchop anymore, sadly. He went on hunger strike for almost three months, and I got really worried about him (nothing I tried would get him to eat), so I gave him back to the breeder. I was afraid I would kill him. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts