Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our landlord is installing a new electric range on Thursday to replace a very old one that could no longer be repaired. I'm aware that the self-cleaning oven is terribly toxic to birds and will not be using that option. Question: Does anyone know of a cleaner that is non-toxic and can be used in self-cleaning ovens without compromising the mechanism? Seems to me there was such a product some years back. Obviously, the birds will be in a far room when I do clean it.

Secondly, is there any danger to the birds with using the oven the first several times?

Thanks for your input! I'm continuing to ruminate over the thing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Most new cooking appliances give off some kind of vapour the first few times you use them as they are burning off the outer coatings and lubricants etc used in the manufacturing process. They say in most manuals that it is not harmful to humans, but from the fact that they mention at all, I wouldn't have it on anywhere near birds as even the slightest vapor could affect their delicate respiratory systems.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I am not sure. :hmm: I guess maybe the first few times you use it you should make sure the kitchen is well ventilated and the bird is on the far side of the house with the door closed. Or if it isn't extremely cold where you are currently you could have someone sit with the the bird cage outside for the first couple uses.

And I'm thinking google may help with your question about cleaning. ;) However, I'd think it would be perfectly safe for both your oven and your birds if you used dawn dish liquid and water on the inside. We use that on the oven racks when we take them out and as long as you don't use a metal scrub brush it shouldn't damage any coating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts