Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 4.5 year old female cockatiel and yesterday I adopted a cockatiel that was surrendered to the local exotic bird store. She's a 10 year old beautiful Lutino and so sweet. Her name is Poppy. I was told she was surrendered due to the owners husband getting annoyed of the noise of some of the birds in the household so they surrendered 2 cockatiels. I was told the cockatiel she was surrendered with was a plucker and had done quite a bit of plucking on himself (although I didn't see him). When I brought her home I noticed that she was missing feathers from the back of her neck and possibly some on or under her wings. She just has a disheveled look about her and some of her feathers look a little wonky. Is it possible that the cockatiel she came with plucked her as well or that she plucks herself? I've only had her since yesterday and have not seen her pluck feathers out. She's been eating well, preening herself, and has flown around the house fine. Would any sort of supplement be recommended? I have researched Avian vets within the area although its the weekend so I haven't called anyone yet. I just wanted to get opinions. Thank you for your time. :ylw lovie:

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is very possible the other tiel did the plucking to your bird. I can't really think of any supplement that would be that much help for feather regrowth but it should be fairly easy to keep and eye on her. If you notice feathers in the bottom of the cage than it's possible she's doing it. Keep in mind that you'll see some feathers during there regular molting period.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts