Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new cockatiel about a week ago, and I know that's really too soon to tell anything I just wanna make sure I'm doing everything I can. But yes her name is peach, shes about a year the pet shop wasn't a 100% sure about her age. Shes fairly hand tamed, shes never actually bit me before. She'll act like she is but never actually hard enough to even hurt, and she'll hiss too. So after the second or third day she actually came out of her cage, I would leave the cage open periodically so she could come out if she wanted. She attempted to fly out, and kinda crash landed so I put my finger out and she got on with mild protest. So for the past week everyday besides yesterday she came out perched on my shoulder and fingers, I've been trying to teach her the up up which she'll do from one finger to another. But if I try it from my shoulder or a perch she hisses, the hissing has went down so she only does it when I actually touch her feet. And the day before she let me pet the top of her head a little bit. But yesterday hissed and a nipped when I tried. I'm just looking for better tips to get her out of her cage cause I don't want to grab and I don't want her to hurt herself attempting to fly with clipped wings. Oh and she will eat from my hand, so any advice at all is greatly appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum! Peach is so cute. :)

This Sticky article is a good read if you're after some tips on training and bonding. Food bribery works well, sounds like you are already working at that. There are plenty of other threads on taming and training your 'tiel on the forum, too.

Remember to go slowly, go at her pace and leave her alone for a while if she gets agitated. Also remember she is still settling in to her new home and environment and won't be totally comfortable yet. Keep working at it and she will warm up to you eventually. You could let her wings grow out a bit too if you're worried about her hurting herself (a 'tiel with a bad/wrong clip job usually drops to the floor when they try to fly. A clipped 'tiel still thinks they can fly as it is their instinct). A good wing clip should still allow them to glide but limit the height they can fly to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

It sounds like you're off to a good start with Peach. One of my tiels is not yet hand tame, so I taught him to step up onto a wood perch that I hold in my hand. He's not afraid of the perch, so I use it as an extension of my hand to get him out of the cage or back into it. Now that he's stepping up onto that without protest, I will gradually introduce my hand in place of the perch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.