Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My partner and I recently got Hercules a 4.5 old male. He is really well settled with us and will step up easily and loves nothing more than having his beak between my fingers whilst he gets his head and neck scratched. He just loves it. He prefers me to my partner and if I am about will want to come to me off my partner, if he is walking around the floor he will bypass my partner and come to me, he follows me all over our home. He recently has taken to jumping off his cage often to walk over to me. His wings are clipped (before I got him) but when I come near he will make to fly to me but can't. Will his flight wings grow back? What can I do about him jumping off his cage ( it is 5ft up and I worry about him hurting himself)?
Thanks for you kind replies.

Sent from my InFocus M808 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Hey there! Yes, your munchkin's flight feathers will grow back in. Usually takes a few months before they fully moult them out. As long as your guy can glide, you should be okay with him landing on the floor. As for keeping him on the cage - have you considered a roller perch? It's a perch with wheels on the bottom and you can move it from room to room. That way your guy can be with you and stay out of harm's way :)

Somebody else may have more ideas :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hiya, I'm new too :) Tiel wings grow back, as long as they were properly clipped (IE none of the incorrect feathers trimmed) it generally takes between 3-5 months to be fully grown back, however you will typically start to see better flight before this period. It takes my 6 year old girl about two months to fly with any good airtime after a trim :)

If you're worried about the leaping from the cage buy a long ladder from a pet store and attach to the outside of his cage. Cute fella!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thank you for the replies. I did buy a ladder and it frightens him and he will not go near it. He is also frightened of the swing I got for him. He would sit all day long on my arm, grinding his beak...

He does jump a lot from the top of his cage. Is it likely that he could damage his little legs or feet? I would hate for him to hurt himself. Thanks again

Sent from my InFocus M808 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hello! Welcome to you from Percy and me. Your tiel is beautiful. :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi! Hercules is very handsome. Could you hang a thick rope from the top of the cage to the floor? It might encourage him to climb down instead of jumping off.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

. Is it likely that he could damage his little legs or feet? I would hate for him to hurt himself. Thanks again
It's more likely he would land on his keep not his feet. His flying will improve eventually, until then offer him to step up off the cage before he has a chance to jump.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts