Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a cockatiel from a local breeder. I have done extensive and through research. However, the taming and bonding process looks alot easier when you are watching a YouTube video about it! Lucy will step up about fifty percent of the time. Most of the time, if I have millet she will step up. However, she does bite me sometimes if I put my finger in front of her hand and say step up. I have just had her for four days or so. She definitely likes sitting on my shoulder. She doesn't like me petting her, she doesn't ask for scritches, and she can definitely get spooked. Is this normal behavior? I know the taming process takes a while but if I don't push her boundaries will she never let me pet her? I have seen a lot of people say not to force them to do anything because you will lose their trust but when do I know it's okay to try? I'm sorry if this is simple, I'm a first time bird owner but I am definitely trying my hardest! Also, does anyone know what type she is?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm a new cockatiel owner too, though my birds are 4 weeks old. I found this link while researching and your situation sounded similar to it.

How to Tame

I hope it helps - and good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
What a beauty. Well, I got a new tiel, However, I have tamed my bird and now he is pretty snuggly. Keep using the positive reinforcement, like using millet for teaching her how to step Up. My bird took 2 weeks to let me cuddle him ( it started today.) this is normal cockatiel behavior. Don’t force her and don’t punish her. Yes it takes time, but you will have a close bond.
it is a gray cockatiel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts