Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't sure where this thread would be most appropriate, but I figured it could fit here.
Anyhow, you guys and your awesome advice have never let me down so I figured i'd ask: I'm in Florida and found the most adorable cockatiel . He's a male and around the same age as my little one at home. We have a twenty hour drive back home and the sales associate at the pet store assured me that he'd be fine as long as he's covered and such. So I need to know if there's anything more I should do for him to ensure he has a safe trip to his new home, and if there's anything I should do before letting him meet his new friend I have at home (I don't want them to mingle if there's a possibility of the new little one giving anything harmful to my little one at home, he seems fine, but I don't want to chance it and i'd feel better hearing all of your opinions)
If I could get your responses as soon as possible, that would be great! Thank you :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Congrats on your new tiel!

I think you need to quarenteen the new bird for a month or so just to make sure it's not Ill or got anything it can pass on to the other one.

And then I think the best way to introduce them is to gradually move their cages closer together and see how they get on.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
For the long trip make sure to have a blanket to cover him with when it gets dark as the headlights of the other cars can scare him. Don't put water in his cage, but make frequent stops to offer him water throughout the drive.

As for introducing and such, I agree with FroggySam.:D

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
A month quarantine may not be long enough 45 days at least. I would also call the vet and take the bird to the vet for a checkup before bringing him home and once again after quarantine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We're traveling now. So far, so good *knock on wood*
Thank you so much for your adviceand help! You guys never let me down :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts