Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought my cockatiel named ilo about 3 days ago. i have done research for about 6 months. i had all my things prepared and ready to take on the challenge of a bird. i never expected to be so worried about his behaviors though...i know they are probably normal for a bird settling in to a new home but i’m still concerned. we bought him from a feed store and he was hand raised/fed all his life so he’s pretty much used to humans. he is also around 3 months old so still a baby. he loves to sit on my shoulder and play with my dad. his wings are clipped (which i don’t agree with necessarily) so he crawls around his cage. this is where my first concern arose. i am scared that he will fall from the top and get a blood feather. i moved around his perches so that he is able to walk easily but he still manages to fall. is it ok that he falls sometimes? how hard does a bird have to go through in order to get a blood feather? another one of my worries is that he preens a lot. i know that cockatiels are very passionate about preening but how much is too much? i’m worried he’ll start to become obsessed and eventually loose feathers. another question is how do i know he’s drinking enough water? he loves to eat but i rarely see him drink. i know he drinks sometimes because i put him up to his water but i only saw him a couple times voluntarily going to his bowl. my last concern is a bit gross lol. he has poop stuck to his vent..which i know after doing a little research isn’t a good thing. is it maybe because he isn’t drinking enough? is it because he is stressed about moving? does his new food upset his tummy? i am very weary about some of these and weather or not some should be considered serious. other than that, he is a good bird! i am hoping to hear some answers to my questions soon.
sincerely, worried bird mom.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Your cockatiel is possible very young, may be a just weaned baby. At 3 month old age, a cockatiel will be a master of climber of cage already. I would put food and water on floor level.
Cockatiels do preen pretty often, as long as no feather loss, that should be fine. You just have to make sure there is no mites issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i have his veggies and water below the cage! he’s already getting used to his new area and he definitely has favorite spots to sit lol. from what i can tell there are no major feathers being lost. i will look up mites, pray that it’s not that. thank you for replying!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I hope you do provide seeds or pellets for your boy. Veggies are supplement diet for cockatiel. I actually prefer seeds over pellets as long as there are not much sun flower seeds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes of course! he only gets veggies during the morning. whatever he doesn’t eat, i put on the bottom of i’m his cage. he has a mix of pellets and seeds (sunflowers taken out of course) always available to him. then at night i switch the veggies with pellets.

·
Registered
10 Posts
yes of course! he only gets veggies during the morning. whatever he doesn’t eat, i put on the bottom of i’m his cage. he has a mix of pellets and seeds (sunflowers taken out of course) always available to him. then at night i switch the veggies with pellets.
mine too has a mix of pellets and seeds, in which I take I out the sunflower seeds. I still think it’s better to convert to pellets

1 - 6 of 6 Posts