Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought home my first cockatiel last night. When we got him out of the little box from the pet store, there was some blood on the box and we noticed his wings were bleeding. I looked it up and think he did it to himself because of the stress of the box and travel, and they are not bleeding anymore this morning, just dirty now.

My questions are:

1. Is it normal for that to have happened and should I be concerned or call a vet?
2. On average, how long does it take for a cockatiel to warm up to his new environment?

We watched some videos of other birds singing and chirping this morning and he perked up and started chirping back at them, but he is still extremely skittish whenever I come near the cage and backs in to a corner. Any advice on how to help him adjust better would be much appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
it may seem that your bird will harm itself in stressful situations so I would definitely minimize the things that are transpiring around the bird for a few days then eventually reintroduce yourself to the bird. calmly sit near the cage talk softly play a little music for some white noise. all things then eventually start giving millet just moving very slowly with a lot in the long run this will work out so well for the bird because he or she will finally see that your not a threat and there isn't anything to be stressed about.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts