Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have been reading this forum for a couple weeks now in preparation of getting my new bird. I just got a cockatiel on Thursday (3 days ago). Today was the first day she let me get her out of the cage and she jumped (i'm assuming trying to fly) and fell and broke a blood feather. After some googling I got my tweezers pulled it put some cornstarch on and held gauze on it until it stopped bleeding and all seems good now. While doing this I noticed that she has several quills sticking out on her wings that do not have a blood supply and do not have any feathers on it. The pet store I got her from has obviously clipped her wings and very badly. I will be taking her to the vet soon I just wanted her to get used to me before traveling with her again. My question is the quills I see are those new feathers that are coming in? She is 6 months old. Or will the vet need to pull all of those out. I feel so bad for her I know they are bothering her because she is preening a lot at that area.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

You did a great job at removing the broken blood feather, it can be a tricky thing to do, so well done. I would refrain from letting her out of her cage at this point as it sounds like she has terribly clipped wings and will continue to hurt herself if let out, because they don't realise that they can't fly, hence why they drop to the floor like a stone when they try to.

The "quills" you are seeing sound like pin feathers which are new feathers sprouting. They're coated in a keratin sheath which protects them while they grow. These will have a blood supply in them, it might just not be visible. These can make them itchy which is why your 'tiel is preening them often. If they're not broken or damaged, they won't cause a problem and it's best to leave them alone. You can help relieve her itchiness by gently misting her with some warm water in a spray bottle.

Hope the vet visit goes okay, please keep us updated about her and let us know how she goes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts