Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

my name is Gabi and I recently bought a baby cockatiel whom I named Chicken! :grey tiel: It's my first ever cockatiel however I also own two baby budgies. :grey: :)

They get along well enough, Chicken is already hand tame so he ( I only assume the gender haha) steps up on my hand and will sit for my shoulder.
Do you guys have any tips on taming and training? He's not really interested in any treats, I mean he eats plenty when he is in his cage, and will eat his snack bar but just doesn't have any interest in snacks from my hand :(

Whenever I take him out of the cage though he only ever wants to be with his new friends the budgies! So he uses me as a transport vessel to get to their cage. I want him to bond with me, so is there any way I could get his attention? If I bring him to another room, is that going to stress him out?

Thank you in advance, looking forward to chatting to you all!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Welcome to you and Chicken!
Have you tried millet spray as a treat? :)
It does take some time for a cockatiel to bond. My cockatiel is now the sweetest, most affectionate cockatiel one can imagine, but when I bought him I was a bit worried as he was very diffident and I thought he didn't like me.
PS: How old is Chicken? It is basically impossible to tell the gender before the first moult. I think Chicken looks more like a girl right now, but it could change after the moult. I thought my boy was a girl before the moult, and so did the breeder I bought him from.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
It takes a bit of time to earn trust for some things. While they may be fine with hands for one thing, it may take longer for another. It took Joey a few months to eat from our fingers. It took a year before he allowed me to touch his head then give scritches, but only through the bars of his cage. It was several months later before he allowed me to give him scritches while out of his cage.

He still won't step up on a finger or hand for millet, love or bribery. He stepped onto my thumb once, but that was because I was saving him from certain doom after he flew into my bag. (I do adore a huge bag with shoulder straps. The way he landed, he couldn't have gotten himself out, and had to accept the thumb I offered, while using the rest of my hand to hold the side of the bag so his wing wouldn't be hurt.

It varies bird to bird. Some like the comfort of a familiar room, some are little explorers. Joey learned to love the kitchen and bedroom of our last apartment. He even liked the bathroom because that meant getting his beloved showers. :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
Welcome to you and Chicken from me and Percy! :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Chicken is soo adorable! Congrats on your new 'tiel! :love:

·
Registered
769 Posts
I am no gender expert, but I think that if your cockatiel is not too young, its a female. Females usually have a less bright colour (dark-ish) and have bars underneath their tails. Plus they are more quiet and can't talk or whistle like males. Also try putting a mirror in front of your cockatiel. If it loses interest quickly, its a female. If it keeps on staring at the mirror, its a male.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts