Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I'm new here and also a new bird owner (I had budgies when I was younger, but untamed).

I bought my first cockatiel, Boo, about 3 months ago. She was tamed quickly and is not scared of me at all anymore.
About a month ago, I bought a second cockatiel, Monkey, and assumed it was female as it was approximately a year and its brother already had a fully yellow face whereas Monkey did not. However, I'm pretty sure she is a he as he makes way more types of noises than my female.
Heres him making his noises.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH9Ve3Eo2Ig

Anyway, I quarantined for a month and it has been a week since I put them in the same room. Boo seems to be afriad of Monkey and they can't be anywhere close to eachother without one trying to attack the other. Boo will not go anywhere near the perch Monkey is standing on which is strange to see as Boo has always been quite an aggressive little bird and is so outgoing, I've never seen her scared of anything new.
Monkey follows Boo and leans over her to steal her toys, forcing scared Boo to move away every time.
They are out of their (seperate) cages all day and do not spend any time together at all.

The situation is getting slightly worse instead of better as they used to be able to sit on a perch together as long as they weren't touching, but now Boo will even fly away from Monkey if she lands on the opposite side of their 14" window perch. Thankfully, they haven't had a serious fight yet as Boo usually backs down.

My main questions are:
1. Is it better to have Boo as a lone cockatiel, or to have both even though they don't get along?
2. Do you think Boo is getting stressed from the new bird being here?
3. If Monkey is a boy, is there anyway to prevent mating? They will eventually be together in a L40" H55" cage if I keep Monkey.

4. Monkey is very jumpy and scared of me unless I have food. At around 8pm they start getting tired so I close the blinds, meaning bedtime. Boo is very easy to get back into the cage, however Monkey needs a honey stick to step up (which is fine, I don't want to force him) and I have to slowly back him into his cage. However, most of the time flies away then I have to chase him with a perch. Any advice to get him back in easily?

Monkey in the tray, Boo on the edge. Food is the only time they can be around eachother. Ignore the huge amount of sunflower seeds, they don't go near them haha.

Thanks for reading!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
1. Is it better to have Boo as a lone cockatiel, or to have both even though they don't get along?
Some tiels are never going to get along. There is nothing wrong with keeping both but keeping them separated, they do not have to share a cage to keep each other company.
2. Do you think Boo is getting stressed from the new bird being here?
Boo seems to be handling it well. She moves away from him, which is not stressing her out and she should be fine.
3. If Monkey is a boy, is there anyway to prevent mating? They will eventually be together in a L40" H55" cage if I keep Monkey.
If they do not like each other this shouldn't be an issue but I do not recommend housing two birds together who do no like each other. That is not fair to either bird.

4. Monkey is very jumpy and scared of me unless I have food. At around 8pm they start getting tired so I close the blinds, meaning bedtime. Boo is very easy to get back into the cage, however Monkey needs a honey stick to step up (which is fine, I don't want to force him) and I have to slowly back him into his cage. However, most of the time flies away then I have to chase him with a perch. Any advice to get him back in easily?
Not really. When I had birds that weren't hand tame yet, I rarely let them out of their cage because it was such a hassle to get them back in. So unless I had the time to chase them down, I didn't. You can try covering his back to prevent him from taking off but I'm not sure that will work very well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they do not like each other this shouldn't be an issue but I do not recommend housing two birds together who do no like each other. That is not fair to either bird.
Thanks Roxy!
I will see how they do together, I definitely don't want a lonely bird.

The only reason I want to house them together is because I want them both to have a flight cage so they can at least fly a little bit when I'm not home to let them out, and I don't have the space for two large cages.

So my dilemma is 2 separate smaller cages around minimum requirements, or one very large cage (Rainforest La Paz) where they may squabble but can still escape eachother, as they don't actively seek out fights, only when too close.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
See the issue is that if you house them together, they can't really get away from each other like they can now and the fights could get worse. Plus, that's not really fair to either one of them, being forced to be house with someone they don't like. If they get enough time out of the cage the minimum size cages will be fine. Mine never really flew in the big flight cages anyways. They climbed instead.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If Monkey is over 6 months old, the bird is a female. I actually have one hen that talks a little, so the fact that Monkey makes more sounds than Boo isn't a definite way to determine the sex.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
If Monkey is over 6 months old, the bird is a female.
Not necessarily. I had a male pearl that didn't molt until he was 8 months old and until that molt he didn't make a peep. After the molt I couldn't shut him up. Some birds don't molt until almost a year old so you have to wait until then to determine gender that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts