Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a very tame cockatiel 2 weeks ago and she still won't settle down in her cage. I take her out 2-3 times a day for an hour each time and her cage is large with different perches and toys. She constantly paces the on the bottom of the cage unless she stops to eat. I want her to like playing with her toys. I've had other birds and they have all played with their toys. Is there anything I can do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My cockatiel when he is pacing in front of his cage that is his way of letting me know that he wants me to take him out of the cage

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New cockatiel can't get used to her cage

I take her out of the cage quite a bit, but still, whenever she is in the cage she paces. I can't keep her out all of the time, plus I'd like her to enjoy playing with her toys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My cockatiel paces back and forth in front of the cage a lot too whenever I'm in her sight. It doesn't matter if she's been out for hours already, she will still pace whenever I put her back in the cage. Like what Allison said, it's their way of showing they want to come out of their cage.

What type of toys do you have for your cockatiel? I discovered that my cockatiel likes to play with toys that she can chew apart and destroy. Natural soft woods that are safe for birds, vine balls, dried sunflower heads, toys made with sea grass and dried palm leaves are some of her favorites. She also likes toys with bells. To make it more interesting, I hide treats in some of her toys so she'll have to forage for them and that can usually keep her occupied for quite a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe the problem is the cage itself? I had to rearrange the cage perches 3 times until I found something my cockatiel likes and actually uses. No perches in awkward places, and also toys and food that are close to the perches so it's easy access.

You should see if your cage is over crowded or has some little problems.

Setting up a cage as a first bird owner is very difficult! Because you don't really have the experience so you learn everything from day to day!

If the cage looks okay, I suggest puting treats on perches so she gets to explore more.

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts