Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My loving husband bought me a new baby tiel for Christmas. I got him today since we will be so busy tomorrow. He/she is not my first tiel, but it has been at least 15 years since I have had a tiel friend. It was a little tough at first today, he/she wasn't eating so I was getting worried. But the little feather monster finally has eaten dinner. He/she is very tame and such a lovebug. But, I do have one concern, my little fid was weaned onto only a pellet diet, is this healthy? I tried to feed other foods, fruit, veggies, etc. But he/she won't eat anything else. How do I transition from a all pellet diet to one that is more complete? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Also, how do you find out if your bird is a boy or a girl? Is there anyway I can lift the little tail feathers and look?:confused::confused:
Merry Christmas to all of you!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! :D What a awesome present from your husband. :D It can be worrying when you first get a feathered friend, they do so many strange things that it's hard to know what's normal. It's normal for them not to eat too much when they first come to a new home, because of the stress. :) A healthy diet will have pellets, seeds, veggies and cooked foods - but for the first few days pellets are pretty nutritious and he won't suffer at all. Just offer him new foods each day and eventually he'll try new things. Some good ones to start with are broccoli and grated carrots. As to gender, it's hard to tell with baby tiels. If he starts chattering and making noise in the next week or two then you probably have a boy. ;)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hi there Welcome to the forum, what a wonderful christmas present ;) Bea already gave you some great info so I will just say congrats and have a Merry Christmas

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Hi and congrats on your new Baby! Feel free to post some pics of him/her....Bea pretty much answered it as far as diet. Variety is best and processed foods like pellets are not all they are cut out to be. They should also have seed, veggies, fresh/cooked safe foods. One easy starter for me has been cooked corn and fresh parsley springs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome to the forums! As you can see from my sig I haven't owned tiels that long but I'd like to share my feeding experiences nonetheless.

Lala seems to have been weaned on a heavy seed diet and would not eat pellets at all, but has always loved veggies. Pellets are healthier than seeds so I worked on feeding him more pellets by mixing it with seeds. Eventually he learned to eat pellets and have tried feeding him pellets only for a few days with a lot of success.

My lutino was a different story. He was weaned with pellets and preferred them over seeds. He does eat seeds but only after finishing his pellets....but didn't eat veggies for the first week. He was actually scared of veggies and flew away when I hand fed him. I think he wasn't used to eating food coloured red and green. He eventually started eating after watching Lala munch on them everyday.

Now their cage cups comprise of 75% pellet and 25% seed mixtures, and feed them veggies every evening when they're out of the cage. Veggies I've fed them include spinach, bok choy, broccoli, corn, peas and carrots.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Pellets are healthier than seeds
I have to slightly disagree with this part. Although pellets supposedly contain alot of vitamins and nutriets they are chemically processed foods and are not healthier then seed in the bigger picture. Processed food will never be healthier then nature made. The idea is variety. I have pellets but only feed them once in a while...not often acctually.:rolleyes:. All 10 of mine LOVE fresh foods and veggies and I cook different things for them all the time. They get daily veggies and eat their seed which is part of their natural diet. Pellets are great as a temporary solution to those that aren't eating veggies yet. That's just my opionion. Some may disagree but I believe the best thing is to try and mimick their natural diet as much as possible. If they eat their veggies and have some seed I am a happy mom.

·
Registered
230 Posts
seed vs pellets

My birds would not eat pellets. I tried a few years ago to switch over but no luck in doing so. They ate some but most wanted seed and that was that. They had that big thing about pellets being so greeat and all. The only thing i ever got out of pellets was my birds pooped pretty colors when they would eat it. Mine wanted seed and that what they got.

I feed a good seed mixture and add a few things Sesame Seeds, Ngerseed, Flax, Buckwheat white millet and sometimes a few others as well. Also i offer a few times a week but its not allways eaten Veggies.
Corn, Peas Greens etc. I also give Pasta and an occasional Egg. It varies from time to time but for the birds i still think seed is better then pellets...be happy.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
My birds would not eat pellets. I tried a few years ago to switch over but no luck in doing so. They ate some but most wanted seed and that was that. They had that big thing about pellets being so greeat and all. The only thing i ever got out of pellets was my birds pooped pretty colors when they would eat it. Mine wanted seed and that what they got.

I feed a good seed mixture and add a few things Sesame Seeds, Ngerseed, Flax, Buckwheat white millet and sometimes a few others as well. Also i offer a few times a week but its not allways eaten Veggies.
Corn, Peas Greens etc. I also give Pasta and an occasional Egg. It varies from time to time but for the birds i still think seed is better then pellets...be happy.:)
I'm not going to get too much into the seed vs pellet debate as I'm not a pet nutritionist and don't know for sure whats in them. However my take on the pellets is that they're meant to contain nutrients what birds would find in different food in the wild. But even so, I still feed them everything available: pellets, seeds, veggies and cuttlefish bone (for calcium).

With regards to your tiels not wanting pellets; they might dislike just that one brand you offered. I would assume there are various brands and types of pellets with different textures, taste and smell. The ones I use here in Australia are locally made, and makes the same cracking sounds with seeds so my tiels probably think it's just a different type of seed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts