Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone =)

Just a short catch-up: I got an almost-wild, totally-not-used-to-humans little fellow back in September. We had our rough times, but in the past months, we have both figured out how the other one works. He regularly takes food from my hand (I found a brand of seed and honey stick he likes), but as far as actual touching goes, we still have prison rules. I had a problem with toys (he wouldn't accept anything in his cage), but accidentally found out that he likes chewing, well, everything and anything chewable. So paper towel toys it is.

Anyway, I got a new job a couple of weeks back, meaning that I can spend less time with him, although the time we do spend together is more regular (I leave at the same time, come home at the same time) - so I'm hoping routine over quantity. The job also means that I can (and should, as he spends more time alone) get him a new cage. He has a round cage (I know, not good for them, that's why I want to change it). I am, right now, considering this one:

It's 30*18*35 in inches. I know it could be deeper, but for some reason, cage manufacturers reeeally don't want to make small cages deeper than this one - and I don't have the budget for a big one.

So, what do you guys think?

EDIT: I'm sorry for not putting this in the right thread, haven't noticed the Cockatiel Housing until after I posted.

·
Registered
507 Posts
It would work, but you might be surprised at what kind of cages you can find on a budget. What is your location & how much can you spend?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm from Romania. My budget is around $80-100 (around 400 RON, the local currency). Cages with a stand are also a no-go, because I already have a custom-made shelf for that purpose, and I wouldn't have anything to do with another one.

It's not that there no cages (I've browsed through hundreds), but for some reason almost none are deeper than 15-18 inches.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm from Romania. My budget is around $80-100 (around 400 RON, the local currency). Cages with a stand are also a no-go, because I already have a custom-made shelf for that purpose, and I wouldn't have anything to do with another one.

It's not that there no cages (I've browsed through hundreds), but for some reason almost none are deeper than 15-18 inches.
I don't think I've ever seen one much deeper than that, either. Most larger cages will be the on stand types. More sturdy and safe for the bird.

http://www.petsmart.com/bird/cages/...oof-bird-cage-zid36-14205/cat-36-catid-400029

That is one with nice dimensions, but I don't know if you'd be able to find it in Romania.

That cage might be your best bet, though the door might be a little small for cleaning and decorating, and food dishes that low tend to get poop showered :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't even find the brand, lol.
Anyway, I was going to put in his current food bowl anyway to make the transition a bit smoother. On that note, any ideas on how to get him into the new cage gently? Since the new cage's door opens upwards, I can't really put the two cages together and hope that he'll go exploring.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hardware stores sale these in the US. If you have something similar over there I would use the clip to hold open the door when needed. Just make sure you either get one in plastic or stainless steel. You could also try a clothespin but I had too many problems with the birds trying to eat the wood and I am pretty sure it is treated with chemicals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts