Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joey has a new castle, as of yesterday morning. He will occasionally go to his food dish for a bite or two, but he certainly isn't eating like he usually does. He will eat hand fed seeds and pellets for as long as we stand there and feed him. He is eating millet like always, but doesn't go to his food dish often, or stay long.

Does moving into a new cage have the same effect as moving into a new home, where they don't eat much until they are used to things? We transferred toys and two of his perches from the old cage, in addition to new perches and a couple new toys, so most of the toys are familiar.

At first we were concerned he couldn't find the food dish, or remember where it was, but he will go to it on occasion, which shows he knows where to find it. His old cage was just a regular cage, not square and not rectangle, but somewhere in between. He's now in a flight cage, but the food and water dishes are in the same location as the old cage.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Its most likely because of the move he would be still getting used to his new cage I would like to see a picture of it.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It is an adjustment. My birds did the same thing when I switched them from plastic to stainless steel dishes even though nothing else in the cage was different. He should adjust in a few days, but keep an eye on his weight like you would with any other transition.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He still is only making short visits to his food dish. Today we bought a smaller food dish that hangs from the side of the cage, and put it up higher, by his favorite perch. He has been eating from it. Although he has been eating a lot of millet the last couple days, and all hand fed pellets and seeds, I feel better now knowing he is eating seeds and pellets. We still need him to get used to his bottom dish. We've seem him go to his water dish a few times a day, so we know he is drinking as normal.

I'll have to get some pictures of his new cage. We've had storms, rain and clouds the last several days, so the light hasn't been right to get a good shot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts