Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new cage came today they love it its nice and big and it took a really long time to put it together and then I had to set up their old cage for Rio so im really tired now lol and Rio loves his cage too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is an awesome cage! You did a great job setting up. Your tiels are beautiful as well. It looks like they like their new home.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It looks rather small to me. It would be good for one cockatiel, but for two (and possible future babies) it should be much bigger.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks rather small to me. It would be good for one cockatiel, but for two (and possible future babies) it should be much bigger.
It actually looks small on the picture but its actually huge and very very wide and you say good for one tiel their old cage was like 2 times smaller than this and he and Loki lived together and they had lots of space.And I dont know what I ever did to you because you always have something negative to say about me or what I get or what I do.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It actually looks small on the picture but its actually huge and very very wide and you say good for one tiel their old cage was like 2 times smaller than this and he and Loki lived together and they had lots of space.And I dont know what I ever did to you because you always have something negative to say about me or what I get or what I do.
Brandon, I have nothing against you, but I do speak up for what I think is right for our animals in captivity. They have no voice to tell you they feel cramped in the space you provide for them.

An 18 x 18 x 18 inch cage is appropriate for one cockatiel, so unless you double that area the the cage will not be appropriate for two birds. An appropriate size cage for two cockatiels would be at least 11,664 sq inches. This cage is about 20 x 20 x 28 inches (11,200 sq inches)? That size might be okay-ish IF the cage was longest on its width rather than its height. Birds use to top ~60% of the cage if it is a tall cage. That said, it is better to have a cage that is wider than it is tall; the birds would use more of the space that way.

I feel sorry that your birds lived together inside a much smaller cage before, and if it really is 2x smaller than the one pictured, Rio deserves an upgrade too.

If anyone else posted this to the forum, I would express myself the same way. Regardless of the owner, I strongly believe the cage isn't suitable for two cockatiels...and it certainly isn't suitable for any babies (or a nest box) to take up additional space.

P.S. Yes, 464 sq inches of space does make a big difference. It doesn't sound like much, but it is!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I agree, it looks okay for one 'tiel, not two, and there's no room for a nest box or baby cockatiels in there. They have that exact same cage at a pet shop near me and I wouldn't house two 'tiels in it.

When I only had two 'tiels I bought this cage: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hifFxdkrL.jpg but it now belongs to Loki and I upgraded to a cage twice the size as the flight cage.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I agree, it looks okay for one 'tiel, not two, and there's no room for a nest box or baby cockatiels in there. When I only had two 'tiels I bought this cage: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hifFxdkrL.jpg but it now belongs to Loki and I upgraded to a cage twice the size as the flight cage.
My 21 year old bachelor bird has a 20x20x28 and it's small even for him (although now that he's older, he's much less active, so it works). My girls have a flight like the one linked here. I don't think I'd want to keep two birds in anything smaller than that.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brandon, I have nothing against you, but I do speak up for what I think is right for our animals in captivity. They have no voice to tell you they feel cramped in the space you provide for them.

An 18 x 18 x 18 inch cage is appropriate for one cockatiel, so unless you double that area the the cage will not be appropriate for two birds. An appropriate size cage for two cockatiels would be at least 11,664 sq inches. This cage is about 20 x 20 x 28 inches (11,200 sq inches)? That size might be okay-ish IF the cage was longest on its width rather than its height. Birds use to top ~60% of the cage if it is a tall cage. That said, it is better to have a cage that is wider than it is tall; the birds would use more of the space that way.

I feel sorry that your birds lived together inside a much smaller cage before, and if it really is 2x smaller than the one pictured, Rio deserves an upgrade too.

If anyone else posted this to the forum, I would express myself the same way. Regardless of the owner, I strongly believe the cage isn't suitable for two cockatiels...and it certainly isn't suitable for any babies (or a nest box) to take up additional space.

P.S. Yes, 464 sq inches of space does make a big difference. It doesn't sound like much, but it is!
I cant believe how you just base something on a picture its not tall at all its very wide and Rio is like a little stone in their old cage and this cage is suitable for Caiques so imagine the size for a caique and even the caique looks very small in this cage.And by looking at the cage myself I think it looks very small but thats on a picture.I should get a better picture in the morning with the birds inside it and show you Rio's cage.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, it looks okay for one 'tiel, not two, and there's no room for a nest box or baby cockatiels in there. They have that exact same cage at a pet shop near me and I wouldn't house two 'tiels in it.

When I only had two 'tiels I bought this cage: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51hifFxdkrL.jpg but it now belongs to Loki and I upgraded to a cage twice the size as the flight cage.
Their cage is actually about the same width as that.Also I dont see why you have to comment you know what their old cage looks like and never said anything about me having two in that.And theres also two types of these cages big and small.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 21 year old bachelor bird has a 20x20x28 and it's small even for him (although now that he's older, he's much less active, so it works). My girls have a flight like the one linked here. I don't think I'd want to keep two birds in anything smaller than that.
And like another member told me if the two birds can stand on the same perch and extend their wings fully its big enough and even better Rocko and Loki can fly in this cage.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually this cage is suitable for Senegals,Caiques,Meyer parrots and large conures.And my Aunt also has this cage for her "small" conure Cracker.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And who ever said this cage is too small for Rio must be very stupid this is well enough space for him.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Here are some better pictures of the cage and its really silly to think its too small for two tiels.

Also as you see in a PICTURE the natural wood perch and the rope perch look very close to each other dont you think? Well really they are a good bit away from each other.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
It looks even smaller with the birds inside it.

I didn't base my judgment on just the photo; I based it off the cage measurements. It is inappropriate for two birds and that isn't going to change just because you take more pictures and call people stupid.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I agree, it looks way too small. There's nowhere near enough width.

Also, anytime two birds are caged together, there should be two sets of food/water dishes to prevent squabbling.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.