Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i’ve recently moved houses and so has my bird. she has a new cage, and sadly due to the nature of us moving we weren’t able to allow her to slowly get used to the cage, we had to just put her in and see how she did. she’s being really really noisy, screaming what feels like all day. she’s okay with getting attention and she is eating and drinking as normal, but i wanted to know what would be best to do for her and how i can help her stop screaming. i don’t know if i should give her attention to reassure her or if that will just make her keep screaming as she thinks it’s a reward.
any help would be amazing, thanks
EDIT: she also seems to be stressed when she can’t see us, if were in the room she’s still loud but she seems more stressed when we leave the room

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Where abouts in the house is her new cage located? Is there something in the room (or a window) she can see that may be frightening her? Did you keep the perches/toys/food dishes etc in a similar setup as her previous cage? Is she in a room where you spend a lot of your time?

Do you cover her cage at night? If she is really stressed you could partly cover it during the day, too. It generally helps calm them down. Give her plenty of her favourite foods and treats and give her shreddable toys to try and distract her. 'Tiels are particularly sensitive to change so she is going to take a while to settle into her new home environment, so you may have to wait it out if nothing you are doing is working.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where abouts in the house is her new cage located? Is there something in the room (or a window) she can see that may be frightening her? Did you keep the perches/toys/food dishes etc in a similar setup as her previous cage? Is she in a room where you spend a lot of your time?

Do you cover her cage at night? If she is really stressed you could partly cover it during the day, too. It generally helps calm them down. Give her plenty of her favourite foods and treats and give her shreddable toys to try and distract her. 'Tiels are particularly sensitive to change so she is going to take a while to settle into her new home environment, so you may have to wait it out if nothing you are doing is working.
we’ve tried to replicate her things as much as we can, and she’s been getting treats and food to help. now and again i’ve covered her cage, i don’t want to do it too much as i don’t want to confuse her sleeping schedule.
i think you may be right that it may just take her a while, i just don’t want her too distressed and i don’t want the neighbours having to listen to a bird scream all day

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.