Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yestarday night i had to assist a hatch because the egg has more tan 48 hours from the first pip and had pips everywhere. Everithing was fine the yolk was absorved and the chick has a Little dehidration i gave him a few drops of electrolites. The yolk could be observed thru the stomach. I put the chick in the nest but i noticed he could not sit. I came back hours later and the chick was still layed. the chick moves and has strength but cant stand. Today morning was still layed down and with no food so i had to feed. The chick ate well but i let it in the nest in the same condition he cant stand. The chick is strong an keep moving and is willing to live. Has not splayed legs, the legs are in place but seems that he cant move it or something is wrong. any help or advise is welcome, thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes he moves his legs, pushig, crawling, he is active does not stop moving. I was going to feed him but i notice he has not digested the food i gave him in the morning. He has food in his crop. i think hi cand digest if he is not standed up he is layed. :(

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yes he moves his legs, pushig, crawling, he is active does not stop moving. I was going to feed him but i notice he has not digested the food i gave him in the morning. He has food in his crop. i think hi cand digest if he is not standed up he is layed. :(
Is he in with his parents? Is it possible to get a short video of what you mean, new hatched chicks are not really strong enough to hold themselves upright for long, but should be able to prop themselves up on other eggs, or chicks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Parents did not feed him since yesterday 7:00 pm to 12:00 pm today. i feed him at 8 am today and 12 pm, i took him out the nest at this time, because i was not returning home until 8 pm so i took him to work i did not want to take the chance parents dont feed him because i was not going to be able to check it. I see your point may be i am just worried because parens did not feed. They are a very good parents specially the male that is why i worried when he is ignoring him even he is chirping all the time, he has two older broders 6 days old. I will took a video maybe is a normal behavior i was never took a chick out of nest so Young. I will be feeding all day long an i will return it to nest at night, and check in the morning if he has been feed.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Parents did not feed him since yesterday 7:00 pm to 12:00 pm today. i feed him at 8 am today and 12 pm, i took him out the nest at this time, because i was not returning home until 8 pm so i took him to work i did not want to take the chance parents dont feed him because i was not going to be able to check it. I see your point may be i am just worried because parens did not feed. They are a very good parents specially the male that is why i worried when he is ignoring him even he is chirping all the time, he has two older broders 6 days old. I will took a video maybe is a normal behavior i was never took a chick out of nest so Young. I will be feeding all day long an i will return it to nest at night, and check in the morning if he has been feed.
When you have him out of the nest, make sure you are keeping him warm enough, not being warm enough can cause the crops to slow down cuz they are using energy, that should go towards digestion, to keep warm.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
This chick also was an assisted hatch and not fed by his parents... In this pic he is less than 24 hours old.... See how he is pink not red and how his belly isn't black...

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The new borns chicks legs position are different, mine positiondescribes an L and the one of the pictures describes a V may be are the legs,

look this comparison

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a better picture of his legs. Sorry about the poop

Definitly he is red an dehidrated as you tell. I just feed him again

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Another angle

Maybe it is just the way he is holding his legs/feet but they look underdeveloped to me.. I am no expert that's for sure! His intestines are looking more hydrated so that's a good thing, are you making his meals with enough liquid? I think he should be a bit warmer than 91 as well....

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not expert eather, i had one splayed leg once two years ago, and looked very different, that history did not end well. I hope it is just the way he is holding his leg, because a underdevelopment wolud be a serius problem. I am waiting a new hatch between today and tomarrow, he just pip today morning. then i would be able to make a bether comparison. I had a lot of problems with this clutch i had to assis all of them but his two older brothers are doing fine. This is their first clutch together may be they are not 100% compatibles, they are not related each othet, each came from a very different site.

the environment is 91 the food is about 102, and i am giving the fook with plenty liquid.

I may put him like in a swing so he can be standed up an not been ignored by his parents.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thank you very much for your help if i found a reason, there is an improvement, or when i had pictures of the comming chick i will update the thread.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
thank you very much for your help if i found a reason, there is an improvement, or when i had pictures of the comming chick i will update the thread.
You are most welcome, I will be looking forward to the comparison between the 2 babies... I am sending him best wishes and lots of luck.. Please keep me updated how he is doing as I am very interested and rooting for the e fella.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The last yesterdays feeding was at 10 pm i put him back in to the nest, at 5 am he had an empty crop, the parents did not feed. The status is like yestarday he cant stand he is just laying and chirping, he is is still Little red but intestins are getting cleared. His Young brother has not hach yet it has been 24 hours since he piped. I am looking a way to stand him up so parents dont ignore him.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts