Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided I am going to get a plum headed parakeet a Male the Bird Jungle has one Male left it is housed in a large indoor Aviary with Cockatiels so there shouldnt be a problem with him getting along with Rocko and Loki.Im so excited I cant wait to get him their colours are just lovely.Im also finding it very hard to think of a name that would suit a plum head any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Where are you going to house him? Rocko and Loki's cage is way too small for him to be put in, plus he'll need to be in quarantine for two weeks. With the issues you've been having with Rio, I don't think another bird is a good idea.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
It's really concerning to me that you're already getting another bird when you haven't even spent a couple of weeks trying to work things out with Rio or finding him a new home. I had hoped that the problems you've had with Rio might have been a good (if tough) learning experience about the difficulties of owning multiple species, but that doesn't seem to be the case if you immediately replace him. Even though this specific bird has been housed with tiels before, you'd still be introducing him to a flock with a bonded pair (Rocko and Loki) and that can cause serious problems. Please think very seriously about what's best for your birds.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's really concerning to me that you're already getting another bird when you haven't even spent a couple of weeks trying to work things out with Rio or finding him a new home. I had hoped that the problems you've had with Rio might have been a good (if tough) learning experience about the difficulties of owning multiple species, but that doesn't seem to be the case if you immediately replace him. Even though this specific bird has been housed with tiels before, you'd still be introducing him to a flock with a bonded pair (Rocko and Loki) and that can cause serious problems. Please think very seriously about what's best for your birds.
I decided I am going to rehome Rio he will live a better life and its for the best and my birds safety.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you going to house him? Rocko and Loki's cage is way too small for him to be put in, plus he'll need to be in quarantine for two weeks. With the issues you've been having with Rio, I don't think another bird is a good idea.
He will be housed in a Large flight cage and he wont be living in my bedroom with the tiels theres no room for the cage.I am going to Rehome Rio.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I agree that's the right decision, but I think it's very unwise to jump immediately into replacing him with another bird.

Plus the logistics of quarantine that Roxy mentioned are serious considerations that I hope you've taken into account.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree that's the right decision, but I think it's very unwise to jump immediately into replacing him with another bird.

Plus the logistics of quarantine that Roxy mentioned are serious considerations that I hope you've taken into account.
He isn't being replaced its just when he's gone things would be different the idea if me having 3 birds is that Rocko and Loki are bonded so dont spend much time with me and the third bird which was Rio was the one who was with me the most.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And although Rocko and Loki are bonded they dont get aggressive towards other birds so there wont be any problems.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Why not spend your time with your moms grey? I also wonder about the wisdom of getting another bird right now... Maybe in the future when you have you own place and more room it would be different...nbut you don't have the space to separate if needed as shown by Rio.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
While obviously it's your decision, I generally find it's most helpful to assume that there will be some problems when making a major change. It's much safer to anticipate problems and have a plan to address them than to assume that nothing will go wrong and be unprepared if it does. It might be a good idea for you to make a list of potential issues and try to have a backup plan in place before you get your new bird. That way you're less likely to end up with another situation where somebody has to get rehomed.

Also, I still haven't seen you address quarantine, which is critically important for any new bird.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not spend your time with your moms grey? I also wonder about the wisdom of getting another bird right now... Maybe in the future when you have you own place and more room it would be different...nbut you don't have the space to separate if needed as shown by Rio.
No because if Rio was downstairs he would be annoying Tiko flying over to her and stuff.Tiko isnt fully tame and she would bite me if I even got close to her.And I would rather get a Plum head anyway.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While obviously it's your decision, I generally find it's most helpful to assume that there will be some problems when making a major change. It's much safer to anticipate problems and have a plan to address them than to assume that nothing will go wrong and be unprepared if it does. It might be a good idea for you to make a list of potential issues and try to have a backup plan in place before you get your new bird. That way you're less likely to end up with another situation where somebody has to get rehomed.

Also, I still haven't seen you address quarantine, which is critically important for any new bird.
Enigma I already said he will be housed away from all the other birds.Even if there is problems I am prepared if he is separated from them.Anyway I only asked for name suggestions I dont need people telling me what I should do im aware of what I need to do.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
If the Plumhead is going to stay away from your other birds, why can't this be arranged for Rio? You always said you didn't have room for Rio in another room, but the Plumhead will be able to fit? I'm confused by your reasoning, and by your whole situation in general.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just find it very foolish to be contemplating a brand new bird so quickly. You first brought up the idea of rehoming your lovebird DAYS ago and haven't even done so (not that I'd make that decision nearly so fast in the first place) and already are buying another long-lived species that could JUST AS EASILY be as problematic or moreso than Rio???

·
Registered
786 Posts
I don't understand why you need another bird...It seems that you don't have time for Rocko and Loki anymore, and adding another bird seems to be a whim for you. Rehoming a bird isn't something you do so lightly either. You did no research on Rio, and ended up having to rehome him. He doesn't understand why, all he knows is his life is upset again. All he did was instinct for him and if you would have researched it, you probably would have found that out. What if something goes wrong with the new bird? Have you really researched the type of bird, whether or not they really get along with cockatiels, and such? Also, do you have the money to take on things like vet bills, more food, a cage that is big enough, etc? I just think you are moving too soon- and not really thinking about how Rocko and Loki might feel about it either.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I just think you are moving too soon- and not really thinking about how Rocko and Loki might feel about it either.
I agree. Like I said in the other thread, I think Rocko and Loki need time to be just with you and that getting another parrot right now is not a good idea.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm confused, I thought you were a parrot trainer and had a business taming other peoples birds? Do I have you mixed up with another forum member??
Yes I do train parrots and last time I tried with her do u not remember she cracked her beak and bit her tongue because she was scared
of the perch and she would probably bite my hand and I don't wanna stress her out she doesn't need to be tame for me atleast she does stuff for my mam

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If the Plumhead is going to stay away from your other birds, why can't this be arranged for Rio? You always said you didn't have room for Rio in another room, but the Plumhead will be able to fit? I'm confused by your reasoning, and by your whole situation in general.
Read through the thread I already explained why I'm not gonna say it again you forget Tiko lives with me too

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.