Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
He is cute! Does he come with the cage too? You can always rename him if you want, especially if he doesn't know his name or you think another name would suit him better.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
So glad you got him and are able to give him a nice loving home. :)

What made you realise the previous owner didn't know anything? Was he mistreated?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They only had the purches that the cage came with and said they never owned a bird so they didn't know if he was loud or not. No he is happy guy. They only had sunflower seeds in his food dish though. His poo looks normal. We got him toys and more purches.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update. I took all the parot sized toys and bird swings out of his cage and moved some thing around. Moved his food and water dishes up and he is eating. Checking out all the new stuff and chirping along with moon dust.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm sure with time he will settle in nicely. That's great that he's eating now and making friends with Moon Dust! Would love to see another pic of him if you have any. :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Personally I don't think quarantining in a different room is necessary if the new bird has had a thorough check up by an avian vet. Even in the same house, they share the same airspace so any airborne illness can still pass from one bird to another.

They are both gorgeous :) Moon Dust's crest sure is impressive! It's awesome that Glacier will step up for you already. Keep working at it and use food bribery and he should tame down nicely.

Can I ask what the substance is that you're using on the bottom of Moon Dust's cage?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I don't have grates in all of my cages either for that exact reason. They can be dangerous and difficult to clean, so in my XL cage the grate is left out (they don't venture down to the bottom of the cage anyway since it's so big).

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's really sad. He won't even eat a regular seed mix? Keep an eye on him and be careful that he doesn't refuse to eat completely when you try to convert him to new foods.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He eats the seed mix treat he has and a bit of the seed mix once all of his sunflower seeds are gone. He also eats all his millet. Just a bit ago we were giving him 1 sunflowerseed cause he was squacking and when he leaned forward i could see poop in his butt. Is that normal? His poo looks completely normal.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
That's good. Do you mean poop stuck to his bum? That's not normal, see if you can spray his bottom with some warm water to remove it, because if it dries over his vent then he won't be able to poop at all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.