Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cinnamon
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

This is my first time on a forum, so please be gentle.

I adopted my first cockatiel a little over a week ago, and have some poop questions.

Looking at the attached pictures; is the green feces and web-like urate a concern?

Her(I think?) Current diet is Kaytee Fiesta and occasional millet snips.

Age is ~7 months.
Asphalt Grey Road surface Plant Groundcover
Pattern Rectangle Art Metal Blossom
Wood Pattern Asphalt Natural material Plant
Branch Road surface Window Wood Twig

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi all!

I adopted my first cockatiel a little over a week ago, and have some poop questions.

Looking at the attached pictures; is the green feces and web-like urate a concern?

Age is ~7 months. View attachment 94406 View attachment 94407 View attachment 94408 View attachment 94409

The web thingy looks weird, I'd recommend to visit your Vet and examine it.

·
Registered
Cinnamon
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I cannot get her to a vet until January 6th. Are there any recommendations on what else to keep an eye out for? I am concerned with her having a potential bacterial infection or parasite, for that many weeks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, I cannot get her to a vet until January 6th. Are there any recommendations on what else to keep an eye out for? I am concerned with her having a potential bacterial infection or parasite, for that many weeks.
Great web site here.

The above link takes you to a great web site. How is your cockatiel acting? I would not panic yet. Keep watch though. Things like stress and molting/hormones can affect your cockatiel. is your cockatiel pop watery at all?

·
Registered
Cinnamon
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great web site here.

The above link takes you to a great web site. How is your cockatiel acting? I would not panic yet. Keep watch though. Things like stress and molting/hormones can affect your cockatiel. is your cockatiel pop watery at all?
Thank you for the link. She is acting well, considering it has been but a week since adopting her. Chirping, and beak grinding have been decently frequent. I've seen her attempt to clear her crop or regurgitation a few times. She is still shy at stepping up onto my hand, but once she does, she seems comfortable.
Some of her poops are pretty wet, yeah, but not all. I think it's when she is mostly stressed.

Thank you for the reply. I know she is probably going through a lot, which can affect her system. I just am treading new territory here haha. Cats, no problem. Reptiles, can do. Birds, challenge accepted.

·
Registered
cockatiels
99 Posts
I don't get the colour/texture on bottom of cage floor. Is that something you've put in? Put flat newspaper on floor so that you can actually see poops. Sometimes they will be wet, sometimes not, but could never see in what you have on floor of cage. Keep bottom of cage simple. Foods you supply to them is very important. Some seed but also corn (they love), peas etc. They generally don't like fruit of any kind...just their nature in the wild. They will turn up their nose (beaks) at what they don't like.

·
Registered
Cinnamon
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't get the colour/texture on bottom of cage floor. Is that something you've put in? Put flat newspaper on floor so that you can actually see poops. Sometimes they will be wet, sometimes not, but could never see in what you have on floor of cage. Keep bottom of cage simple. Foods you supply to them is very important. Some seed but also corn (they love), peas etc. They generally don't like fruit of any kind...just their nature in the wild. They will turn up their nose (beaks) at what they don't like.
Hi Jo!

I attached a picture of what I use. I have been thinking of switching, since this stuff seems to generate a lot of dust.

I have noticed that she doesn't like fruit, I was going to try broccoli next.

Bird Parrot Beak Adaptation Feather

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all!

Age is ~7 months. View attachment 94406 View attachment 94407 View attachment 94408 View attachment 94409
I use painters paper on the bottom of my cage. It's inexpensive and easy to find. My bird is picky about fruit but does enjoy bananas, grapes and apples. When he's stressed his poop might be a little loose but he doesn't have that much white in it.

·
Registered
Cinnamon
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey all!

I wanted to post an update. Her poop has normalized and has been cleared by a vet.

I have switched to using dog potty pads to line to liter tray of her cage, instead of using pellets.

I am also transitioning her diet to pellet and fresh veggies, rather than the pellet-seed diet she was on at the pet store.

I am looking forward to her molting, so that she can get her flight feathers back. She had been deep clipped when I adopted her 😔

Thank you all for your support and tips/advice! 🥰

·
Registered
cockatiels
99 Posts
Hey all!

I wanted to post an update. Her poop has normalized and has been cleared by a vet.

I have switched to using dog potty pads to line to liter tray of her cage, instead of using pellets.

I am also transitioning her diet to pellet and fresh veggies, rather than the pellet-seed diet she was on at the pet store.

I am looking forward to her molting, so that she can get her flight feathers back. She had been deep clipped when I adopted her 😔

·
Registered
cockatiels
99 Posts
Hey all!

You seem to be learning fast. Glad to hear this in the best way. I use newspaper as is cheap as chips. 1 newspaper goes a long, long way. I, personally, would never use dog potty pads as lined with plastic and stuff they may ingest. They'll rip/shred anything on bottom of cage.
Good time to think that tiels naturally eat seed in the wild amongst other things. I would give a mixture of nutrient rich pellets, plus seed, plus veggies. and greens, but never lettuce.
They also naturally eat insects (meat) in the wild. Any Aussie avian vet will recommend putting in a small portion of meat about twice a week. A bit of cooked, plain mince, chicken they love, love, love (cannibals), or any natural meat we eat. Never sausages or man-made mix of meats. This is natural and is healthy in their diet but in tiny, well cut up portions as they don't eat meat like we do. By the way, they love, love, love cooked potatoes mashed, baked, fried etc as long as soft. All my birds over 20 years go crazy for potato as long as you don't give them too much. They will overdose if not given by portion size :)

·
Registered
Cinnamon
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You seem to be learning fast. Glad to hear this in the best way. I use newspaper as is cheap as chips. 1 newspaper goes a long, long way. I, personally, would never use dog potty pads as lined with plastic and stuff they may ingest. They'll rip/shred anything on bottom of cage.
Good time to think that tiels naturally eat seed in the wild amongst other things. I would give a mixture of nutrient rich pellets, plus seed, plus veggies. and greens, but never lettuce.
They also naturally eat insects (meat) in the wild. Any Aussie avian vet will recommend putting in a small portion of meat about twice a week. A bit of cooked, plain mince, chicken they love, love, love (cannibals), or any natural meat we eat. Never sausages or man-made mix of meats. This is natural and is healthy in their diet but in tiny, well cut up portions as they don't eat meat like we do. By the way, they love, love, love cooked potatoes mashed, baked, fried etc as long as soft. All my birds over 20 years go crazy for potato as long as you don't give them too much. They will overdose if not given by portion size :)
Hi Jo!

Thank you for the reply! The cage I have has bars on the bottom, making her unable to reach the pads, but I will triple check that she cannot reach the pads to munch.

I am giving her seeds in the morning and evening, taking the dish away after an hour or two. I was going to start giving lettuce; why should she not have lettuce? 😶
I can start giving her some minced chicken or turkey 👍 Would ground crickets be something that I could also give her? We don't always have meat around(my son has special dietary needs), so I wouldn't mind having some form of crickets for her. Not live crickets, I know those guys can be feisty.

Sorry this thread kinda turned into a raptor wellness discussion 😂

1 - 12 of 12 Posts