Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to cockatiels, I raised parakeets growing up. My 1st came from a big out door cage full of 50 other cockatiels. He never relaxed no matter how much I tired. He ended up passing away. =( I think he was over stressed being inside in a cage. I just recently got 2 more. They do not seem to be in the best of health. I asked a lot of questions but did not get any straight answers. I took them both home anyways because I want to give them a better life. One has little to no feathers only on his head. Any advice how how to get them to grow back would really be great. He is so sweet so I don't he was miss treated. He is busy and does not seem sick. He has such a wonderful heart I want to see him looking his best. The other one is a little more timid but sweet all the same. He will get on your finger with a little effort. He most hangs out on top of his cage. He has a scab of some sort under his wing and some loss of feathers. I have been doing a lot of research so I welcome all advice. I love every second with these birds!

The featherless bird from what I was told only ate people food, whatever the lady ate. Any foods that might help him get his feather back!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Not sure about foods that will help get his feathers back but if he's not being plucked they should grow back pretty soon normally. Some people food is ok for them, but there are some things they shouldn't eat such as chocolate or caffeine or avocados. Hopefully he feathers out soon. The one with scab, he could've picked it. Have you taken them to see a vet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet, I have not found one close by that sees birds. I did find a parrot rescue close I thought I might stop in there and see what advice they might have. Could it be he is old?? Do they typically lose feathers and not grow back as they get older.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
No but plucking could cause it and I think there is a disease they can contract that also causes it so it would be good if he could see a vet and get some tests run.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Take them to the vet..

Plucking is not healthy... I have never heard of a cockatiel going bald from old age.

He may have been neglected badly and had no toys in his cage.. but thats if your lucky i reckoned..
I hope he dosnt have mites or anything.. Definitely take him to a vet and make sure the vet actually has bird experience.

They should eat pellets, seeds, some human foods are okay but not too much.. Like raw corn is good.

or plucking could have been because of stress... Just take him to an avien vet to make sure :(

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well done on rescuing these birds from a nasty situation.
Where did you get them from? A breeder? A shop?
Do you know how old they are?
I have seen a tiel with no feathers on it's head once, in an aviary. I think it had been rescued from elsewhere. They should grow back.
The scab sounds more serious. It is definately worth getting that checked out (so try to find a good vet and take them both). I don't think mites are very common but it does need ruling out as son as possible.

Where are you (which continent!)?. In the UK we tend to feed seeds and people food, fruit and veg. I know some people elsewhere swear by something called nutriberries. It may be worth looking into. Pellets apparently can contain a lot of goodness too (a better balance than seeds). Have a look on the 'food and nutrition' sub forum for ideas. A better birdy diet will help the two of them recover from their experiences.
Good luck with helping these two little sweeties (oh, and pics are always welcome ;) )

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I answered your question in this thread..
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?p=135911#post135911
Not sure if you saw it.

Here is what I said:
EEEEKK!!
The feathers are NOT falling out because he is old! Whatever she told you seems to be a lie.
The bird could be sick, have mites, etc. Where is the bird bald?

The feathers may grow back with the right TLC, but repetitive plucking may result in permanent bald patches.
I would not think feeding just human foods is healthy at all. Did she state what kinds of food it has been eating?
They should have a balanced diet of seeds, pellets, greens, and other various human snacks.

Is it possible you can bring them to the vet?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts