Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there! Posted in introductions earlier..
Just got a new Cockatiel and it's my first time owning one, I've had budgies in the past but this is different for me. He's quite larger and has a totally different personality and temperament.. A lot less hyper which I like a lot, actually.
Anyways, his name is Conan and he's a split pied pearl or cinnamon I believe.. He was hatched on April 27th, and is roughly 3 months old.
I just wanted to make sure all is good with him, and I do plan to take him in to the vet for a check up health thingy too, but in the meantime just wanted to ask on here.
Are young cockatiels sort of bad with their hygiene? He hasn't learned to bath in a dish or anything yet, but he will come in the shower with me and gets cleaned off that way.. Anyways I've noticed a lot of poo sticking to his tail feathers, especially in the mornings and he's slow to clean it off. His poops are totally normal, although they get a bit runny through the night judging by the big pile underneath him when I uncover him. Anyways they seem fine, and the right hardness and not too watery or whatever. Just seems like he's messy and doesn't know how to clean himself too well yet.. Anyways I just wondered if it's any cause for alarm or if I should try to get him in the shower more. I mean he seems totally healthy otherwise, he is extremely friendly and eats a big variety of food including pellets and seeds, with dark greens, eggs, and cooked rice etc.. Lots of energy, plays and likes to get into trouble, all around well adjusting little guy.
Also, I've managed to get him out into the harness and he loves going outside, even came to a family barbeque with me. He would bow his head to people to let them scratch him and everything, but he does seem to want to chew the harness a lot.. Is there any ways to get him to stop? He wants to be part of the family but I can't have him outside without a harness, yet he wants to chew it a lot... I have the aviator harness petite size, and was really disappointed by the way it is made compared to the bigger sizes, which I didnt realize until after I'd bought it. No indication on the website or on amazon that it would be any different, but it is.. The buckle doesnt move around or slide on easily at all like they make the bigger models out to be, and it upsets the bird trying to tighten it, then he starts to chew it. Like its pain staking trying to get the little harness to tighten or loosen, very annoying. And then it doesnt move around to the back or anything and just trips up his feet, making him even more annoyed with it... Do you think I'd have better luck with the Bird Diaper Flightsuit thingies?
Anyways, thanks for reading my long post haha.. I have an anxiety disorder so I tend to make mountains out of molehills, and just want to make sure everything is all good and normal for his age. <3

·
Registered
160 Posts
My cockatiel Kimchee is a clean bird and always has been. I'm sure he is fine even if it takes him time to clean. I have to complement you on your bird. He sounds well behaved. Most cockatiels won't let anyone but there owned touch them at first. So great work! Also can you clip his wings? If I were you I would never take him out side unless clipped. But that is up to you. I recently bought a flight suit and my bird hated it! She is usually very well behaved but she wouldn't even let me put it on her! She never screamed before I tried to put that on her. And boy did she scream! Here is what I think the test is if you want to buy one: does she let you pick her up. Not perch on you but does she let you grab her with your hand. If not don't buy it. If so I would recommend it if you don't lik the harness.
Apologies for calling him a she a few times!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Hey there! **waves hi**

Yeah, baby birds tend to be a bit slow on the grooming thing, so tend to look a bit rough around the edges until they get a hang of things. What you're doing is great! Just keep doing what you're doing and your fid will eventually like the idea of a shower :) As for chewing the harness - it's normal and they will generally chew at it until they get used to it. I have a flight suit, but my boogers haven't worn it in a loooong time. I quite like it, but my birds prefer the security of a traveling cage. Plus mine like to chew at the velcro fastener and I'm paranoid that they're going to escape somehow.

Catch ya later!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Tiels hold their poop through the night and let a big one loose in the morning, that's why it looks so wet when you get up. Totally normal, but yea babies don't really know how to clean themselves. Mine never liked bathing in a bowl to be honest, they preferred the shower over anything else.

I had an aviator harness and really liked it. Honestly, they're not made so the bird can walk around, just so they can ride on your shoulder and go places with you. I don't recommend letting him fly in it, only because birds of prey will try to eat him. That's happened before. Your baby looks to be a pearl, do you know what mutations the parents were?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for the replies!!
Relieved to hear that they're a bit slow to catch on, he's just not a very hygienic guy yet I guess, lol. He seems happy and healthy so that was really the only thing bothering me..
I was thinking of maybe buying one of those in cage baths that hang out of the side of the cage so he can use it on his own time, but I'm not really sure how well it would work with the cage itself. Plus he tends to be sneaky about his water usage and I rarely see him drink or anything.
Oh a pearl? That sounds about right. I have the worst memory and I knew it was one of the two. I can show a few pictures of the family that I got from the breeder :)

Here's a couple of his parents, I believe his dad was the darker one!

And here's some of the babies from the same hatch, I'm not sure if any of them are Conan but judging by the crests, they probably aren't. Still adorable though! I had never seen this color of 'tiel until I came across the advertisement.

Lol He's such a busy body that it's hard to get him to stay still or just chill on my shoulder, he wants to roam whenever I'm sitting and not walking. I'll probably just get the flight suit and see for myself, no way to know until we test it! I'm really apprehensive about clipping his wings though, he came clipped from the breeder but his wings are growing in and I would feel awful trying to do it at this point, as he seems to really like being able to fly around in here. I think if he gets bad behaviorally, I guess I would have to.
Thanks for the compliments :) I am disabled so I spend a lot of time at home.. We spend all day together plus I try to keep him socialized with other people, even though that's not a problem. He takes to people right away and makes me a bit jealous at times, haha! He likes my mom a lot and it's like heyyy, don't forget who your mom is.
Aaanyways I always type huge replies. Thanks again for the posts! ^_^

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Both parents appear to be pearl so gender is not able to be identified that way.

Tiels don't drink much and it's hard to catch them at it. I think if you put the bath in there he'll just drink from it to be honest.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts