Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after all of the waiting and excitement, Bella just did not work out. She just hated me. I mean really, really hated me. My days would be filled with non stop, ear piercing screams whenever she could see me or even hear my voice. If I dared go near her cage she would lunge at me and a couple of times in the beginning she managed to latch on and nearly tore chunks out of my hands.

She adored my husband, however, so he finished off her hand feeding, but he's really not a bird person and wasn't interested in that kind of relationship with her. The non-stop screaming put a lot of strain on our relationship because we both had headaches 95% of the time, were both agitated all the time and we couldn't talk to eachother if there was any chance she would hear my voice.

So I asked Pete if he had any ideas on how to get her to stop SCREAMING at me 24/7, and he told me that she was starting to act the same way around his mother (he lives with her) but he thought it was just a personal thing so he didn't bother addressing it as I picked her up soon after. She doesn't like my friend Bethany much either and while she doesn't scream at her the entire time when she's here, she does lunge at her and scream at her if she gets too close (which isn't close at all), i'm pretty sure it would escalate to constant screaming if Beth lived here.

I asked Pete if he'd like her back because we couldn't handle it anymore. Nothing I was trying was working and it got to the point where she needed to be in a room upstairs or outside if I wanted to be anywhere near the main living areas of the house. It wasn't fair for her to be living in isolation and we certainly couldn't live with her screaming non stop all day and all evening before bed, and while my neighbours never complained I am sure they wouldn't like it either. If you've ever heard an Eclectus scream you'll understand what a strain it was.

So I found another breeder that was advertising his search for a hand raised female to keep as a companion bird. He tried to breed one of his own, but he only allows his pairs to breed once per year and they kept throwing boys. So I got in touch with him and explained my situation, and he's a single guy living with a male housemate (no women) so we arranged a meet and greet and then a trial period. He signed a contract saying he'd give her back if it didn't work out, but she absolutely adored the guy. He sent me videos of her all over him and snuggling up to him and she was completely smitten. It was really lovely to see her so happy and not screaming 24/7 lol.

The arrangement was if she worked out for him, he'd give me one of his boys. I'm on a break from work at the moment and I miss dedicating my time to baby birds, so I took one of his 4 week old boys. Here he is!

Michael still keeps me updated on Bella and i've been updating him on the baby, and we'll probably stay in touch!

·
Registered
128 Posts
wow !! grt to know that:) congrats fr d new baby birdie boy . Bella was really lucky she got a mom like u who cared for her so much !! as I have seen many owners lock up their birds if they scream out of sheer frustration without knowing how to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
**Hugs** It's hard giving up a fid, but I love how your situation panned out in the end! OMG...I've heard an eclectus scream a few times at my parrot club displays. Left your ears ringing! I can only imagine the torment your ears went through :(

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bella is doing extremely well in her new home! Her and her person Michael have REALLY hit it off. It makes me so happy!

Sam is going extremely well also. 6 weeks old now and getting greener by the day!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow he's gorgeous! That's wonderful that you were able to find such a great arrangement were everyone is happy. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
That is so bizarre, I don't have experience with big parrots but I would expect a baby to bond to anyone at that age.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That is so bizarre, I don't have experience with big parrots but I would expect a baby to bond to anyone at that age.
Some birds, even at that young age, start to prefer one gender over another. I haven't seen it be a huge thing in tiels, but in larger parrots, they really only bond to one person and a lot of the time only really like one gender.

There are exceptions. We met a very abused cockatoo at a bird store in SD that usually really disliked men. She cuddled right up to me and after some coaxing, cuddled with my husband too. The store manager was super shocked and tried to get us to take her home lol.

So glad Sam is working out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts