Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to say hello and introduce Butters, my first tiel.

I was originally planning to get a parakeet, however, when visiting a local pet store this little guy, after some hesitation, stepped into my hand and climbed up to my shoulder -- and stayed there for 45 minutes nibbling at my ear, eyeglasses, and hair. I guess that was his way of saying, "please take me home." (Extreme pressure from my girlfriend was also a factor.)

I believe Butters is a "he" based on behavior, whistling, and his face seems to be getting yellower. I was told he is 4 or 5 months old. I have had him for a week and he is almost like a human child, with a very distinct and assertive personality. And a huge appetite. He is surprisingly clever and manipulative, and quite hyperactive at times. (Did I mention he eats a lot?)

His flight feathers were clipped and I can't wait for them to grow back. In the meantime, he has been "flying" longer distances each day, from out of his cage and then from the floor in great leaps as he follows me from room to room.

He spends a good portion of the day on my desk -- interfering with my work -- or on my shoulder sleeping. He gets really cranky when he is tired, or if he is preening and I mess up his feathers, or when I prevent him from tearing the keys off my laptop's keyboard. :) (He retaliates by eating the millet spray I give him as a diversion and then flapping his wings to throw empty seed hulls all over my desk and into my computer.)

Overall, I like him. I added a few pics.

Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Aw, it definitely sounds like Butters wanted you to be his new owner. It sounds like he is doing really well and is adorable.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Butters is a very beautiful Tiel! :) We love seeing pics so any time you feel the need.. please do post. It sounds like Butter found a forever home and is settling in nicely!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
very sweet cockatiels are great first birds i have three angel, sparkles and tweety. tweety is my only male.
sparkles

tweety

angle

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new friend.

Butters is at the age where he should be molting in new feathers. If a male you will notice that solid feathers will molt in on the lower body, wing flights will molt out and be replaced with solid feathers, and he will molt out the yellow barring to the tail feathers and they will come in solid.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Welcome to the forum,glad to have you here.Butters is a very beautiful cockatiel,those photos are so adorable,look forward to seeing more photos of Butters.:)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Wow, those were some fast replies!

Yes, he is settling in and seems to be developing so quickly. He did his first "wolf" whistle this past Friday. Since yesterday, when I scratch his head, he chirps like a cricket. Is that normal?

At night I play a nature sounds CD to help mask any extraneous sounds in his room, which he has listened to for about 8-10 hours every night for the past 7 nights. Could he possibly be imitating the crickets he hears in that?

I will definitely add more pictures since this bird provides endless photo opportunities!

·
Registered
109 Posts
My cockatiel has attempted to mimic everything. I'm not sure where half the sounds come from. But welcome to the forum! There are a lot of owners and breeders on here who can be a great help! Welcome to the world of "parronts" !

·
Registered
630 Posts
Oh my what a perfect cockatiel you have! I love your description of Butters, sounds like a few that I have and that laptop picking, I've got two who do the same thing! I am glad to hear you like him and you will have such an incredible time together :) I'll be honest, my male, Ares, has mimcked everything so well (except words) that he has even picked up the sound my females make when mating...slightly annoying when I'm looking for my mating pair and find he's doing it, but extremely humourous!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
He sounds lovely! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
16 Posts
He looks like my little Georgie Boy when i got him September last year.
Georgie too interferes with my work and follows me from room to room - he is so cute.
i spoil him with millett and honey sticks and numerous scritches through the day - he isa greedy little piggy.
also, georgie talks alot - 13 different sayings to date plus whistles.
his face is quite yellow now and he is almost finished losing his baby feathers.
he is quite attached to me but due to his constant flutters i must keep all doors and windows secure.
i hope yours is happy and well.

regards

noname

·
Registered
62 Posts
LOL, my cockatiel Tallie is obsessed with laptop keys. You can't use your laptop around him because he runs to it & starts taking all the keys off :p

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your cockatiel is adorable! Mine also loves to jump on the laptop keys and pick on them. It's always hard to have them on your should while next to something that interests them. Mine either jumps off my shoulder or crawls down my arm to get the my desk or table. Anyways, it looks like Butters is living life in a great way! I hope the best for you and your cockatiel. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's always hard to have them on your should while next to something that interests them.
Listening to an iPod is absolutely out of the question. He will repeatedly yank the ear buds out or, if I shoo him away, he will walk onto my chest and pull the main cord from there. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts