Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
They're both beautiful but I particularly love the whiteface lutino (which is what makes an "albino", albino cockatiels don't actually exist). So adorable! :love:

You won't be able to sex the wf lutino visually. You'll have to wait and see if he/she displays any gender-specific behaviour, or if you don't want to wait, get a DNA test done.

Before you introduce the two 'tiels, get the new one checked out by an avian vet first to make sure he/she isn't carrying any parasites or diseases that could pass on to your young baby. Then, after giving your new 'tiel some time to settle in, introduce them in a neutral territory away from cages. Best of luck with your new baby and please post more pictures! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Upon closer inspection, I believe I see a yellow feather in his back and his tail feathers appear slightly more gray (or dingy) looking. What mutation would this be called?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Can you post a few more pictures? It's likely it's just dirty or stained feathers. Or it could be cinnamon which is very faint on a wf lutino as the lutino heavily dilutes the cinnamon so it appears as just a wash of colour.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll try to do that as soon as possible. Trying to let him settle in before I take close up pics.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
He looks pretty white! White feathers can get dirty or stained very easily. My whiteface cinnamon pied Shelby is mostly white and his feathers are dirty and stained (they were like that when I got him, too). Even giving him a shower doesn't get rid of the stains (mostly on the ends of his tail feathers). So I guess you'll have to wait until he molts in new feathers before you know if it's a mutation or just discoloured feathers.

Your baby is looking beautiful and grown up by the way! :love:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! They get alone wonderfully. I have gotten our first flight suit. I know he is old enough but not yet her. Can’t wait to be able to let them out more with out worrying about poop everywhere. How do people normally deal with that? Feels strange to let them both fly around and not pay attention to every move they make (especially when they are on opposite sides of the room).

He looks pretty white! White feathers can get dirty or stained very easily. My whiteface cinnamon pied Shelby is mostly white and his feathers are dirty and stained (they were like that when I got him, too). Even giving him a shower doesn't get rid of the stains (mostly on the ends of his tail feathers). So I guess you'll have to wait until he molts in new feathers before you know if it's a mutation or just discoloured feathers.

Your baby is looking beautiful and grown up by the way!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Flight suits are great, as well as harnesses. It's getting them used to it that is the difficult part but with patience and perseverance they do end up accepting it. The younger the bird, the easier it is to get them to wear a flight suit or a harness.

My flock gets hours of out-of-cage time everyday so I deal with a lot of poop, lol. I just have a tissue handy whenever I have one of my 'tiels on my shoulder/arm/lap etc. It's pretty easy to clean up. I lay down sheets of paper on the floor around their cages to make cleaning up a bit easier for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts