Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So both the little wf pearl and wf pied were at work yesterday, and I ended up buying the little pied last night! :) S/he's in quarantine until Sept. 24th. (Luckily, the folks where I work are beyond awesome and they're allowing me to keep the baby at the store in the back until I'm ready to take him home.)

I bought the best cage I could get for quarantine but without taking up too much space in our little breakroom. (cage size: 18x18x24) And also seed and pellets to keep at the store; as well as a java perch and swing to add to the bare cage and a couple of small toys. I'll also be taking some veggie mash to stick in the freezer there for him/her too. :)
I'm not sure I can wait to find out if it's a boy or girl! I may try to get a DNA test. Avian Biotech would be the best one to go with, correct? Or did I get that mixed up?

S/he is SO little compared to Ozzie and Missy! Pretty scared after being moved from the main area away from his buddies, but wow what a cutie! <3 Can't wait to get to know him/her more. ;v; Hopefully Missy will finally have the companion I've always wanted for her too. (*Ozzie was originally intended as a buddy for Missy but he hates her.) Just going by how this little one interacted with the other tiels I think he'll do fine, but we'll see. c:

This is going to be such an adventure! I've never had a baby tiel before - all of my past and current birds were adult rescues!

In the meantime, I'm putting together a list of names; one for females and one for males. Name suggestions are appreciated! Right now there are only:
Male: Tamaki, Hiro, Akiko, Chuutarou
Female: Shirayuki, Naru, Hiyori

·
Registered
786 Posts
S/he is adorable! Having a baby is so fun! Congratulations :) Avian Biotech is great, they email you the results within three days, then send a certificate in a couple of weeks. Sorry, no name suggestions.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby! It was nice of owners to let you house him/her there. Don't have a name for you. Will have to mull that over.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Adorable, his/ her little face! We got our two babies not long ago and this is our list of names we liked - although we ended up naming our male Klaus (and that wasn't even on the list, haha), our girl is called Pippa:

Female

Peppy
Pippa
Bisou
Sprinkles
Pookie
Bibi
Izzy
Noodle
Fizz
Tinkerbell
Lily
Lulu
Lola
Pebbles
Pepper
Poppy
Tipi
Angel
Bijou
Kiwi
Daisy
Pickle
Piper
Georgie
Kitty
Minnie
Flo
Pansy
Teazle
Daffodil
Jasmine/ Jazz
Blossom
Danica
Dana
Plum
Pumpkin
Sophie
Muffin
Pepita

Male

Dudley
Peanut
Zappa
Zip
Kit
Kip
Leo
Sid
Fips
Mickey
Nibbles
Bailey
Ozzy
Picco
Taz
Banjo
George
Cooper
Dylan
Flynn
Bud
Zach
Woodstock
Marley
Elmo
Bogart
Dieter
Max
Nigel
Spud
Tiffin
Scooter
Hootie
Bonzer

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Your baby is gorgeous ! Names I liked from the list. Females bijou( jewel in French) and Daffodil. Males. Zappa (after Frank Zappa yeeaah !) and Tiffin ( like how the name sounds ) In any case, Congratulations! X x Teresa from Brazil

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Names I like for parrots are Rocko,Rocky,Tiki,Tiko,Rio,Kiwi,baby and joey.(Joey is for the blue budgies I dont know why I just think blue budgies are a joey its suits them lol.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Through a series of events at the fault of no one, the baby flew outside. He rounded a corner of a building being built across the street from the store and we couldn't find him. :( We're setting out the cage he was in with some millet, and hopefully, by some small chance, he'll come back.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Through a series of events at the fault of no one, the baby flew outside. He rounded a corner of a building being built across the street from the store and we couldn't find him. :( We're setting out the cage he was in with some millet, and hopefully, by some small chance, he'll come back.
How did the baby get out.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's truck day so the back door was open, opened the cage door for a moment, and the baby slipped out and took off. :( We're all devastated. </3

We're so hoping by some miracle we can get him/her back. He won't survive very long out there. :(

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry to hear about baby - it happened to a friend who opened their door to grab the newspaper and in a few seconds their bird flew out into the night sky. You need to act quick - start putting up flyers and run an ad. Call all local humane societies/animal shelters and give them the heads up. There is another recent post in this forum where someone else lost their bird and great suggestions were given - check it out. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Aw no that's really sad, I hope you get him back! :(

·
Registered
414 Posts
Oh no. That's terrible. Hopefully he didn't get very far and you get him back.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I've put an ad out on our city's Lost Pet FB page, and have also alerted animal control and the humane society as well as the construction crew that's been working on the building across the street where we saw the baby last.

Thank you, everyone. :( I'm hoping for the best but the odds aren't looking very good. In this area, we have foxes, cats, birds of prey, crows, and there's also a very busy road across the way and a cornfield. And with baby being fully-flighted, there's no telling how far s/he could be by now. :( :( :(

·
Registered
786 Posts
I am sorry to hear that. I will send up prayers that you get him back...Best of luck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts