Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I purchase a new 8 week old baby cockatiel on Saturday. He is adorable and he is the first one I got that was a baby. I just have a question after I feed him and put him in his brooder, he sits there making noises like he is crying, not real loud. I pick him up and I pet him and he still make noises. He falls asleep making these noises. Is that normal?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Sounds like he is just sooking... I have chicks that yell like they are starving even after they have a full feed... If you know he is warm, fed and healthy then just continue snuggling him and reassuring him when he needs it, but don't go overboard or he will be a Velcro bird.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yep it's pretty normal. Cockatiel chicks are notorious for acting like they're hungry even though they're really not. Just keep doing what you're doing, as PR said don't go overboard or you'll end up with a velcro bird (it's not as fun as it sounds)

How many feeds is he on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He eats 3 times a day, between 5-8 cc. Plus I see him nibbling on seeds. I don't think he is crying because he is hungry, I definely know that cry🙂 Could he be crying cause he is lonely?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I don't have experience with youngsters but to me it sounds like your little guy is crying for your attention haha. Coco still does it and he's a grown boy now, almost three, and a mega velcro bird!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Try offering him some different kinds of foods to play around with, like veggies (I give my babies steamed veggies) and millet along with his seeds. It will help with his weaning plus it will give him something else to do besides cry. Exchange his veggies every couple hours so they don't spoil.

Millet is particularly fun to play with because it tastes good AND it crumbles really easily. My chicks always enjoy destroying a millet spray and it stops their crying for ages too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts