Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got him two hours ago in the same shop as we got Danno. We're still thinking about the name ^^

It's hand raised but I'm worried because he bite my husband and flew away scared. He's 5 months old and doesn't fly good.

We have him in the cage next to Danno. When we took Danno out to meet him, she was curious and wanted to play. But he was on alert.

What do you guys think that I should do to make him trust us?

Any advice will help! Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi! Congratulations on your new addition, I think the best advice for now is just to give your new bird plenty of time to relax and get used to his new home. Just talk to him, be around him but don't demand anything of him yet! He'll soon settle in I'm sure!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Time and patience are the best ways to gain trust. Spend time sitting and talking quietly nearby, or by the cage, in soothing tones. Seeing your interactions with Danno will help too. Some birds take longer than others, and some are never hands on, but patiently try.

·
Registered
885 Posts
What a beautiful little baby! Such a sweet face.

As with any new bird, it's really just a waiting game. Before you try any hands-on kind of stuff (like step up or offering food from your hands), just give him time to settle in and get used to being in a brand new place. Talk to him when you walk by his cage, read to him if reading is something you like to do. Encourage your husband to talk to him too. You don't even have to talk about anything in particular. When my IRN was settling in, I would rattle off my shopping list or read a recipe out loud near his cage just so he got used to me being around and hearing my voice.

Once he's had a few days to a week to settle in, then you can start doing stuff. I generally start by poking some millet through the cage bars (making sure they're watching me) so they learn to associate my approach with something super awesome. Then i'll start offering food by hand. And we just keep going up from there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advices!

Today he is still on the same place of the cage (he's quiet but I know he can sing, because I've seen it in the shop). I've changed papers without problem.
He ate a bit from the snack bar from my hand. A bit after I tried with a small "line" of carrot and he got curious. I've given him a bit and he came to eat from my fingers.
Some time after he just came to me when he saw more carrot.

Small steps but good enough. Do you think I've missed some step or that I should do some things first?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Sounds like you're doing well. He is a beauty! His mutation is pied. :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Congrats on your new pied baby! I would like to mention quarantine, it's very important when you get a new bird, but since you have already introduced them it's too late to try it. I like quarantine time because it gives me a chance to bond with the new bird before introducing them to my current flock. He will probably need time to settle in before showing his true personality.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats on your new pied baby! I would like to mention quarantine, it's very important when you get a new bird, but since you have already introduced them it's too late to try it. I like quarantine time because it gives me a chance to bond with the new bird before introducing them to my current flock. He will probably need time to settle in before showing his true personality.

We have them in separate cages, but not different rooms. We're always in the living room and putting one apart it's not an option for us. Thanks anyway about the advice :)

Since yesterday he eats from my hand and steps up. I can touch his beak softly sometimes but he's not trusting 100%.
He began to flock call me today, I'm so happy about all this!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts