Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

After a lot of research, planning and preparation, I just got my very first cockatiel! He/she is a newly weaned hand reared baby sitting in the cage across from me. Is it bad that I'm utterly terrified?! I did get him out in an attempt to bathe him and it was really scary! Fluttering and flapping and already a shoulder bug. In the end I put him back and spritzed him, but sooner or later I'm going to have to wash him because he's been exercised in an aviary and has poop on his feathers. I'm sure we will get along in the end, but right now I'm quite nervous and so is he. We both have a lot to learn I think! Was anyone else as scared as me?

Charlotte x

·
Registered
403 Posts
They need time to adjust and I think a bath so early is terrifying for them. Give him/her a few weeks with soft, minimal interaction until she is used to you and her new surroundings.

Our taco is still afraid of anything new... Such as a new toy, anything new I hold or place near her, she freaks out. That's just the way they are.

Congrats btw, whats her name?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Well, it could be either sex but I decided on 'Murray' regardless :) He/she isn't a very scaredy bird and i think that actually makes it harder to judge how he/she is feeling! I think you're right. I'll just let him/her watch me and say hi now and again for a few days :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would have to agree I would wait a couple weeks for a bath. the first few days u get a cockatiel its best to leave it in its cage so it can settle in to its new soundings

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys :) It's been a couple of days now and we are getting the measure of one another! Things seem to be going pretty well.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Awesome :) do you have any pictures? :)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aha! I totally did it. Looks like I was trying to do it in quick reply before. Here's my little guy having a preen - he has scruffy feathers due to the fact that he weaned very late and onto only seed mix. The lady who gave him to me had three others that looked much better (obviously getting to the veggies/best seeds first). I took him to as very good avian vet today who confirmed he was in good health and his feathers should improve after the first moult if he gets a nutritious diet. I've put him on Nutri-berries, Harrisons high-potency superfine and fresh veg. I have high hopes for little Murray!

He's stepping up almost totally reliably now, flies to his perch (a short way!) and today I even got a cuddle. I'm not so scared anymore!

X

Attachments

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
He's adorable! Perfect diet you have him on, too. I'm sure he'll grow up to be even more handsome!

You have four gorgeous tiels there! I hope Murray looks that good one day :)
Thanks very much! :D

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys :D He's discovered his wings this morning. Wow Diane, another flock of four beauties! The guy at the shop where I got Murray's stuff told me "Parrots are like Pringles - you won't just have one!" I'm starting to think he was right ;)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Murray looks very cute in that picture :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Thank you, Charlotte. I started with one budgie in September of 2013. Then, I started hearing how great cockatiels are. It's fun watching the relationships between them (most of the time!).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts