Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased our cockatiel Echo a little over a year ago. She's wonderful in every way(pretty sure that she is in fact a SHE afterall, thanks for your help here on that one) After much thought about Echo and her maybe wanting some bird company we decided to add one more to our family and purchased another hand raised baby. The pet store told us that she was a girl, figured a girl was best for Echo so that we did not have to worry about eggs and such. Since bringing Zoey home they seem to get along pretty well, not loving each other yet but definately tolerating it. Echo is still just as cuddling with our family members which is nice to see. One problem....Zoey our little baby girl loves to wolf whistle, screech, sing, bop her head and tap her beak repeatedly on the cage, perch etc. I guess it's another waiting game, just entering the molt I am expecting some male appearing. Guessing we should have wait before naming her Zoey.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Sounds like Zoey is DEFINITELY a male. :p I've never known a female to display all those behaviours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, ever feel like you should have known better??? I guess pet store employees dont always know best. I wouldnt normally purchase a cockatiel from petland to be honest but this one just called out to us for some reason, so much that we drove back after deciding the family was not ok with not bringing HER home. Anyway, today our Zoey started to hop around the bottom of the cage looking up at Echo. I googled this and yea, pretty sure Zoey is Joey but will be patient and wait for the molt to progress.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Joey already sounds like he's lookin' for love! Yes I would be willing to bet you have a Joey! What mutation is he?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He's so far a simple gray. Is there a mating season? The last few days he has really been driving Echo nuts, not to mention the household. It's not that he calls all day, his timing is just horrible.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Usually when the days are longer they start feeling the urge. He is not old enough to be fertile yet. Males generally aren't bred 'till they are 12 months. Females 18 months. He will be about 6 months when he hits the molt that reveals his maleness.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He is 3 months old. He is molting a bit now and seems to be already getting a little more and a little brighter yellow in the face.
Thanks sweetrsue, so good to know he's not fertile yet. If I do not offer a nesting box is it safe to say they possibly will not have any eggs to surprise me with?

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
It's safe. It's actually up to the hen though. If her drive is stronger to lay than the need for a box they will lay anywhere. If you just watch the triggers you should be OK. Not too much in the way of fresh greens (a sure sign of spring). Make sure they get like 13 hours of dark or dim light. My birds are never totally in the dark.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thats great that you got a new friend for your other Cocatiel I did the same thing except I wanted to get a mate for My white faced male. So I wanted a female but by the looks of things I have another male. Oh well it doesn't matter they are both gorgous little fellows and I'm fine with that. My new one is a pearl pied so he's quite pretty right now he's about 8 months old and he's been in the pet shop for quite a while and at this pet store the don't handle the birds so I thought it was going to be quite a chore to tame him down. He was hand tamed but parent raised until he went to the pet store and he's been there for at least 3 or 4 months. He was the most skiddish out of his brother and him from the start. His brother was sold within a few days after arriving at the store. I was pleasently suprized this morning if you read my post titled (So excited) you'll see why. Mabie its because I'm always in the pet store buying food and Toys for my other birds and I always went to check on him to see how he was doing. He's going to be a very nice little companion. Congradulation on your new family member. I hope your not to disapointed that you might have a Joey instead of a Zoey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts