Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had paid for a little white mutation cockatiel at a local pet store. He was very sweet and I couldn't wait to bring him home. They were keeping him in back because he was breeded by the owners daughter. I requested that they keep him in back until I could pick him up because at the time I did not have any other tiels and did not want him to be socialized. Also they keep the tiels in an open tank like thing and kids are always grabing at them and I did not want to bring him home with a trama. I went to visit him and he was out on the main floor, I demanded they put him in the back again and off he went with a very rude girl that worked there. so I go in to visit him I see that he is finally on solid food and I will be able to take him home in less than a week.

I'm very excited I have a cage, food, toys everything and he is the sweetest tiel ever. I even had a name picked out.

A few days after visiting him I get a call from some girl at the pet store telling me that my bird is dead and if I want I can come see for myself that he is dead. I ask what happened and I'm told that they were feeding him his formula and he choked to death and that is a normal thing for the white mutation cockatiels.

Last time I check mutation did not have anything to do with a breeder who does not know what they are doing and they overfeed a bird fomula who is now on solid foods. Being that he'd been on formula for a while and had no problems I believe that they were not doing things incorrectly and so killed him.

To add insult to injury the girl began laughing while having just told me he was dead and hung up the phone.

I went to pick up my refund and was told by the maybe 15-18 year old girl that had breeded her birds(this was her first time) that it was normal for white mutations to choke on their food and die and that the store had done nothing wrong.

Needless to say I will never buy from that petstore again and it sickens me the way they treat their birds. They even have a store bird an amazon I believe in a cage that is not even big enough for a tiel, he's old and ignored and it just breaks my heart. So I make extra sure to cherish my own birds and I hope you all do the same.

Kristin

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
aww i am sorry

and you are right mutation has nothing to do with how they eat, it sounds like some one didn't know what they were doing and hand fed the bird wrong and it asperated(spelling?)

it happened to a baby lovebird I had , I'd bought 2 when the oldest was 2 weeks old, and my b/f was feeding one while i was feeding the other He's more experineced than I am, and it died in his hands - it was an accident

but from the sounds of that girl, she doesn't need to breed them any more until she knows excatly what she is doing!

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Thats horrible :mad: I would report that store to the Spca if it is still open. No one should hand feed unless they are 110% comfortable and have been shown many times by a breeder.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
WOW! That's all I can say. She said he choked because of his mutation???!!! I would get that in writing and report them because that is just ridiculous. These are actualy lives they're dealing with here and that's not a valid excuse. They need to be properly fed and cared for or that store shouldn't be breeding at all!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I'm so sorry!! That's just neglect on the stores part, they should be reported. Clearly their staff need training.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I am sorry about your lost baby :( It truly amazes me how ignorant people can be to actually say it choked because of the mutation, I guess if that makes her feel better thats what she believes, a lot of people take breeding for granted they don't think of the consequences I have heard of so many stories of babies dying needlessly because someone did something wrong its very sad.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am sorry to read that. I don't think it has anything to do with mutation but maybe neglect and inexperience on their part. I have two Whiteface Lutinos that I hand raised from 2 weeks old, now they are about 5 months old. I would look further into it and deffinatly report them.

·
Registered
703 Posts
That is horrible! I am new to cockatiels but I have never heard of mutations causing feeding problems. It is sad how many people jump in to something without the needed knowledge! I hope to breed my budgies one day but know that I am not nearly knowledgeable enough right now. So I am waiting and planning and learning. I would definitely report the store!
I hope that you are able to find a beautiful tiel from a capable breeder!

·
Registered
340 Posts
How sad:(i am with every one else on reporting them:mad:and let the experts see for themselves how badly neglected the animals are i am so sad for you,to get so excited and hyped up on getting your new tiel to get a phonecall saying your tiel that you had seen a few days previous alive and well has died:confused:something is just not right.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would also like to jump on the "report them" bandwagon. If you don't, maybe no one else will and other animals will suffer. Even if you cannot prove that they mishandled your intended tiel, you say that the amazon there is not in an adequate size cage, they can definitely look into that. And there may be more to investigate once they are there. Getting the proper authorities in the door is enough to get a ball rolling.

I am very sorry that they were so insensitive and rude to you. What terrible people :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts