Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about making a nesting box for my cockatiels. I made a previous one out of a cardboard box and they seemed happy with it, but I was wondering if anyone had another suggestion.
Due to space, the box has to be inside the cage. She had 4 eggs earlier this year, but they didn't fertilize even though they were constantly on them. Just recently, they started getting "busy" again, so I was thinking about setting up another box for them. Also, what is a good nesting material. Last time I used just shredded newspaper and paper towels. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,912 Posts
You can make a nestbox out of a basket or plastic container if you like. If you have building skills you can make one out of plywood.

This article has information on good nestbox design and nestbox litter: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-nestboxes.html

The placement of the door hole is a very important design consideration. If it's too low, the babies can fall out of the nest before they're old enough to fly, and be injured or killed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts