Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my cockatiel, Birdadette (Bird for short), about four years ago. She laid one egg about a year or so after I got her and hasn't laid one since. The first egg was a major surprise to both of us, and she wanted nothing to do with it, so after 3 days I removed it. So no eggs or any sign of nesting behavior for about two and a half years.

Recently (for one or two weeks now) she has started the habit of going down to the bottom of her cage and backing into a corner with her tail pointing up along the corner. Whenever we go near the cage when she is sitting like this, she spreads out her wings protectively and hisses, charging forward slightly, but not far from her corner. Is this nesting behavior or something else? Should I be concerned? Are eggs coming?

I have never owned a female cockatiel and Bird hasn't really done anything nesting related since the first egg. Can anyone who is familiar with females and nesting help me out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for getting back to me. Is this something she will get out of on her own, or will she continue to do it until I use hormone techniques? Does it mean she is going to lay eggs, or could she be doing this without eggs coming along?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It means she could lay eggs if you don't start the hormone control. Something in her environment has made her nesty and you need to act fast before she lays eggs that could be detrimental to her health.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts