Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello eveyrone,

My little buddy has been diagnosed with high lead levels in his blood around 3 months ago. Back then he was starting to eat less, drink more and be generally inactive. I was lucky i caught it early.

Sadly, because of the limited treatment options here, 3 months later, his x-ray ( his third) still shows some lead particles, and even though he regained his appetite and didn't show any more lead poisoning signs, two weeks ago he started using his right leg less and less. Right now his little leg is shaking everytime he tries to get it up, perches only on his left ( tucking in his right or just shifting his entire wieght on one side), limps around and is mostly sleepy during the day. We started CaEDTA again ( orally, that's all we have over here - he previously has had 2 session of CaEDTA - 3 weeks and 10 days).

The vet said lead causes this because it inhibits the use of the sciatic nerve. However, I am worried that, if I can save him, the nerve damage would be permanent. But I cannot really find resources regarding the prognosis of nerve damage due to lead poisoning in birds. Any experience with your birds recovering from neuro-damage due to heavy metal poisoning? His leg looks fine otherwise, i cannot see any injury.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
How is his recovery going? One of my cockatiels is currently being treated for lead poisoning after losing the use of one of her legs, so I suspect they have similar issues with the sciatic nerve. I also have been unable to find information on if she will recover the use of her foot. Hoping you will have positive news as this post was a few weeks ago.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Hi to both of you. Vlade hasn't replied since the original post, so I can only hope it's not due to something worse happening since. SarahJayne, hows your bird doing ? My boy had lead poisoning from the smallest piece of old paint you could ever find, but luckily enough, I got him to a vet within 24 hours & they were able to get him to poop it out using peanut butter as a laxative. I do hope both birds recover fully, or at least be able to use their foot some of the time, but let us know :)
X-ray Still life photography Glasses Radiology Photography

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.