Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I'm new to this group. I have these cocktail for past 4 years. I have 4 cocktail intially and now it's two. I need to find whether it's male and female or both female? Especially the white lutino cocktail..
Please find the attached picture for
Bird Parrot Cage Cockatiel Beak

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your response. I will attach a picture for your reference. I need to know the lutino cocktail gender. I tried to see the feathers closely but couldn't find any marks??

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’ve had 2 male lutinos. I’m 100% sure they were male. I sexed them myself. I’m not really good at looking and telling their sex. I can only tell by feeling their pelvic bone. I was a breeder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many years ago, I was told by an experienced cockatiel person that you can get a good idea of the sex by looking at the angle of the legs coming out of the pelvis. Female's legs supposedly have a greater angle than the males. So when you look at the bird head-on, with the bird standing on a flat surface, the male's legs appear to come straight out of the pelvis to the feet, whereas the female's seem to start out wider and angle inwards down to the feet. I don't know if that makes sense, it's tough to explain without pictures. I don't know if there is any real truth to that, but we had one male and one female cockatiel at that time and it was totally true for them.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Techniques like feeling the pelvic bones aren't reliable - a female that's never laid eggs can feel like a male, and a male can feel like a female.

It's can be hard to see wing and tail markings on a lutino, because there might not be enough color contrast between the markings and the rest of the feather for us to see it. If the bird is lutino pied, the pied feathers won't have any markings regardless of the bird's sex. If the bird's behavior doesn't reveal its sex, then a DNA test will be the best indicator.

You can encourage her to feel more comfortable with you by holding millet spray in your hand for her to eat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts