Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
our old usual oven broke recently and we are looking to buy a new one. Something like this: http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/450632/to-18s_stainles_steel_toaster_oven_812.jpg
I was comfortable using that old one because I have had birds for 8 years and nothing ever happened. The birds are not close to the kitchen but I am still paranoid because they do fly there sometimes when their cage door is open and sometimes it will be when people are cooking. This really scares me because I want my birds to be safe.
Does anyone know a brand name or product that you have been using that is relatively safe? I'm afraid this stuff may contain teflon. :(

All suggestions are appreciated.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Do you not have an oven at the bottom of your cooker? You know the ovens with the grill on top.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think if you can, just get one that has stainless steel or such without any non-stick surfaces, including any pans that may be in it. (Sometimes they come with a little flat pan inside) I have one that is a convection and toaster oven combined and it is all stainless including the racks. Never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just found a few that I like and will be emailing the companies about it. Already got a reply from someone that said unfortunately they use non-stick coatings in their appliances. I will be patient until I find a safe one. :)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Let us know! I've wanted one since I moved out, but I haven't gotten one because of the risk.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So far I have found a safe range (the big usual oven) and have replaced the one that broke. I've been using it with no problems at all, however I did open all windows and lock my birds in a distant room for the first few days of using it. The company is Amana, here is the conversation for anyone who may come by this and may be interested.

ME:
Hello, I have a question about this product. I would like to know if this product has any nonstick material such as PTFE or PFOA on it. These chemicals are hazardous to pet birds when heated and will kill them. I have pet birds and want to make sure they will be safe if I buy and use your product. Is this product safe to use around my pet birds? Are there any chemicals on this product that could be harmful to birds?
Thank you in advance
Model No.: agr5630bdw
THEIR REPLY:
Thank you for contacting Amana with your new product shopping questions! We appreciate your interest in our home appliances.
We do not produce any ranges with nonstick materials. As with all ranges, always move birds to another closed, well ventilated room when using the self clean cycle of a range.

We have decided to just not use the self clean feature and will be manually cleaning the range for the birds safety. And even though this sounds like a safe range/oven the birds will still be nowhere near the kitchen.
Also if you guys decided to purchase the same thing I recommend sending this company a similar email because things do change over time and because hearing the same thing twice is more reassuring. :p Feel free to post your experience with them here if you do.

edit: now to find a nice and safe toaster/conventional oven! haha

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
If their isn't any teflon, ptfe, or ptoa in the product then there shouldn't be a worry about the self cleaning cycle. That's a fishy response to me, but they may just be saying that for liability reasons. I'd run a self clean cycle outside to burn off the new oven coating and then allow it to cool completely before bringing it in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts