Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have read/watched a lot on taming a cockatiel and it is very detailed and helpful. However my situation is a bit different and to be honest I have not yet found an answer yet...I hope someone can take out time to help me.

We love pets and since my daughter is allergic to cats, we decided to keep a pet bird. We were out only window shopping and found a lovely hand tamed white cockatiel. We instantly loved it and got it home. The shop keeper said it's a hand tamed bird and does not bite. I got a bigger cage for it with toys and wooden perches.

So this is the situation:

1. It's in our home for almost 10 days. It has been out of the cage on its own thrice (we NEVER force it) and goes back again by gently getting our hand near her, while the cage is on the floor. It gets in without any force as she walks away from the hand direction.
2. It does not bite as I installed toys and perches in the cage, just scared of the hand....at times scared a lot and at times very less
3. It only eats seed mix from the shop. Does not like millet at all, not fruits and veggies. I hung millets in cage/food dispenser, etc but NO to millet.
4. In order to tame her to step up, what kind of reward should I offer as it only eats the seed mix (which is always in the cage, safe, up next to a perch). The shop guy said to take out the seeds for 3 hours and then hand tame her, this will work. Should i try this? wanted an expert opinion.
5. It is not scared of us as we bring the hand near the cage and it doesn't move, unless the hand goes inside the cage at times it does walk away.
6. Finally the shop keeper also said, grab her in a towel and stroke her head gently daily so she gets used to it, this way she'll not be scared. I think this is not correct at all and not the right way. we never tried this btw.

So how do i hand tame her without millet/reward food and having the seeds kept in her cage and she won't be motivated to go for my hand offered food???

thanks
Hassan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hmmmm. I have to wonder how tame you bird was upon your purchasing it! His advice is terrible! I have never used treats during training a bird but then all of my birds were hand fed which is not the same as hand raised. When your bird is out try to get it to climb and play on you. No rewards are really necessary. They usually enjoy being out and looking around! You can put food near you if you’d like. Just be sure to relax because if you are nervous the bird will definitely sense that and will not come near you. Take him out at least once a day without fail. Go into a quiet room. I hope this encourages you. I know you can do this! It’s worth the effort. You will develop a long lasting relationship!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi there!
I have had birds all my life. But I just recently got my first cockatiel. We got her from a pet shop. (Yes I know I shouldn’t have! Should have gone to a breeder). The first day she hissed and bit us quite bit. Anyways, if you are home full time (quarantining helped!! Haha ) this is what I did. (I am not an expert but this is what worked for me.) I put my cockatiel in a smaller cage because I was waiting for his bigger cage to come. I put her in With toys and water. But I handfed her. I offered every 15-20 mins. My kids also helped offering food. I know a lot of work to offer constantly, but I think you want to make sure they aren’t starving. But eventually she ate. Then I kept talking super sweet to her while she eats. First she gets mad at my fingers and bit it a lot. Then by day 3 she started getting on my hand with food and seeds. I went super slow to get my hand out of the cage tho. Now she won’t go back in her cage. She was fully untrained and untamed. Now she sits on our shoulder and hangs out. Sorry I’m not an expert and I apologize to all the experts that might be against how we tamed her. She’s our total baby now.

Good luck, and don’t give up. Some birds take months or even more.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
She’s adorable! You and the kids seem so committed to this baby that it’s just wonderful!
It’s been years since I bred cockatiels but I remember a lot. I just adopted a 12 year old who was tame, hand fed then left in his cage for 10 years. I’m almost starting over. But only 2 weeks into it he’s doing great.
565B1672-71A8-402B-9E54-39A398F12CC3.jpeg His name is Zeek and he’s finally free to have fun again and he’s loving life!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts