Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I posted this 5 days ago in another section of the forum, I see 46 views and no replies so Im trying here. Please share your thoughts, thanks

I have put a deposit on a white face baby. I first saw this baby October 26th. I am unsure of the exact age but believe it was about 1 month old at that time.

I am not new to bird ownership but this will be my first cockatiel. I have had in my life parakeets, bebe parrot, african grey, love bird and most recently a parrotlet. Sadly after 7 1/2 years my parrotlet died overnight a few weeks ago. It was fine in the evening and dead in the morning.

I had been looking at cockatiels for a few years, but I am only able to have 1 bird. I am creating a nice bond with this baby and we both discovered it could fly last week. This bird did not move from my hands just did step up and sat there for scritches for weeks. I am not sure who was more surprised, me or the bird when it flew! Because the bird is currently at a bird store with large parrots in nearby cages my bird was clipped so there is no chance it can land on one of their cages. My baby is still being fed formula and I can not have it until it has been eating on its own for two weeks.

I have become a member of a couple of face book forums and there seems to be an overwhelming opinion that I should not have 1 bird. I do work but the bird will have plenty of toys to play with or shred. The bird will have outside time and attention when I am home. Our last bird loved to have dinner with us, he had food on his own plate and he would first check our plates to be sure they were the same, lol

I am wondering if maybe I picked the wrong breed for my next bird? A second bird is not an option. I am curious to hear from single cockatiel owners, do you have a good relationship with your birds?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,
I posted this 5 days ago in another section of the forum, I see 46 views and no replies so Im trying here. Please share your thoughts, thanks

I have put a deposit on a white face baby. I first saw this baby October 26th. I am unsure of the exact age but believe it was about 1 month old at that time.

I am not new to bird ownership but this will be my first cockatiel. I have had in my life parakeets, bebe parrot, african grey, love bird and most recently a parrotlet. Sadly after 7 1/2 years my parrotlet died overnight a few weeks ago. It was fine in the evening and dead in the morning.

I had been looking at cockatiels for a few years, but I am only able to have 1 bird. I am creating a nice bond with this baby and we both discovered it could fly last week. This bird did not move from my hands just did step up and sat there for scritches for weeks. I am not sure who was more surprised, me or the bird when it flew! Because the bird is currently at a bird store with large parrots in nearby cages my bird was clipped so there is no chance it can land on one of their cages. My baby is still being fed formula and I can not have it until it has been eating on its own for two weeks.

I have become a member of a couple of face book forums and there seems to be an overwhelming opinion that I should not have 1 bird. I do work but the bird will have plenty of toys to play with or shred. The bird will have outside time and attention when I am home. Our last bird loved to have dinner with us, he had food on his own plate and he would first check our plates to be sure they were the same, lol

I am wondering if maybe I picked the wrong breed for my next bird? A second bird is not an option. I am curious to hear from single cockatiel owners, do you have a good relationship with your birds?
Thanks in advance
I’m a single cockatiel owner for 6months but now I have many. As you told you spend more time and provide many toys.
So you can have a single bird. But if you are to leave the bird alone in any situation then I would prefer to have any other bird with your tiel because their bonds are strong so it will miss you even for not seeing you a couple of hours as it can’t fly around (clipped). As my tiel has many friends because it is comfortable with my whole family and alwaus has somebod. Better provide any other smaller size bird(should be more active than cockatie) eg:- budgies,finches,African love birds and parrotlets. Not bigger ones.
if you spend whole daylight with your cockatiel then you don’t need another

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had my first cockatiel for 3 years by himself and he was fine. I have eventually got him a friend, just this year and the adjustment took some time but despite not being overly friendly with each other, they do appreciate each other's company. I would say yes it's a good idea of you can have more than one but mine wasn't pinning away by himself and I was working part time so there were some days that I only saw him in the morning, particularly in winter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts