Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! We really need some advice regarding our cockatiel Chilli. Hes a loving, fun little guy but hes totally obsessed with us and when we arent with him he screams the place down. We've had him for a year and hes been like this pretty much from the word go. Since the covid situation I've been working from home, which has been more difficult because he was used to quiet time while we are at work and now he hears me around our flat. We havent been the strictest bird parents but are trying to make sure we train him properly now as hes been getting territorial over rooms and my boyfriend! The only thing I cant figure out is how to stop the incessant flock calling. We've never given in to his screaming and let him out so I dont understand why he hasnt yet learnt that screaming doesnt lead to rewards. Every time he start yelling to be let out I cover his cage for 5 mins or so, then uncover and praise him when hes quiet. But today ive gotten up from my desk probably 15 times, and i really need to get on with work!

Has anyone had a situation like this that they've been able to solve? I understand ignoring him is the best option, but we live in a flat right now and I cant have him screaming all day (because ignoring him has not stopped him in the past!) And getting another bird isn't an option unfortunately.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, I've not had this issue with budgies before, and this is my first cockatiel.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well....having 14 of the little darlings it sounds like he's bonded to you. I know some people aren't in a situation to have two birds but that's the chance you take by just getting one! Is it not possible to atleast let him out of his cage SOME during the day? Try spending atleast an hour of quality time with him and see if that helps. Just throwing a sheet over his cage isn't going to help.....unless it's bedtime. All your going to do is confuse and upset him more if your doing that as punishment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Robert, thanks for your reply. As we havent clipped his wings hes often difficult to get back into the cage once hes out and as i receive phone calls as part of work i cant leave my computer to chase him down! Im going to see if moving his cage into the room with me helps (and hope people on the phones cant hear him!)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi Robert, thanks for your reply. As we havent clipped his wings hes often difficult to get back into the cage once hes out and as i receive phone calls as part of work i cant leave my computer to chase him down! Im going to see if moving his cage into the room with me helps (and hope people on the phones cant hear him!)
Cockatiels usually don't make THAT much noise unless there hormones are raging or they have an underlying issue. I DO understand your issue with noise and the phone. I forgot to mention that aside from 14 tiels, I also have TWO sun conures......so I know ALL about noise LOL! Hope things get better for you and your bird and keep me posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts