Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cinnamon pearl pied
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I’m new to the forum but before creating an account have scrolled through. So I have a (what I think is a male and female) pair of cockatiels. I’ve had Guy (like guy Ferrari) for several years. I put him with what I was told was a female cockatiel (coconut) because I have been trying to breed for years with no success for some reason. They’ve been together since March and they at this point seem bonded. They sleep together, they preen eachother, they go in and out of the nest box together, never seen them fight, etc. After several months together I put in a nest box and they go in and out of it together with no issue but now it’s been months and there are still no eggs. I feed them Fresh fruits and veggies all the time and they’re on a half pellet half seed diet. I’m not sure why I’m not having an success with breeding. I tend to give them a lot of privacy so I haven’t actually seen them do the deed but the other day from a distance I saw them attempting but I saw the female go on top of the male and then jump right off. I am getting the female DNA sexed but I know my male is male and am almost certain the female is female. Why is the female doing this is it my males fault ?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Guy is definitely a male like you said, but Coconut might be a male. It's good you're getting Coconut DNA'd because pieds are the hardest to visually sex. If Coconut is indeed a female, she wouldn't be split to lutino because females can't be split to sex-linked mutations (pearl, cinnamon, lutino).

·
Registered
Cinnamon pearl pied
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guy is definitely a male like you said, but Coconut might be a male. It's good you're getting Coconut DNA'd because pieds are the hardest to visually sex. If Coconut is indeed a female, she wouldn't be split to lutino because females can't be split to sex-linked mutations (pearl, cinnamon, lutino).
Oh interesting I did not know that, hopefully the dna test will be back within the week and I will know. If coconut is indeed a female what would be the reason for her climbing on top of my male. Would it be because she’s frustrated maybe he’s not mating with her ?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Okay, sounds good 😊. That might be the reason; I’ve never seen that in any of my cockatiels, but you never know 😊. Do you by chance happen to know Coconut’s parents’ mutations? Since pearl is sex-linked, there might be a way to tell if she is male or female.

·
Registered
Cinnamon pearl pied
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, sounds good 😊. That might be the reason; I’ve never seen that in any of my cockatiels, but you never know 😊. Do you by chance happen to know Coconut’s parents’ mutations? Since pearl is sex-linked, there might be a way to tell if she is male or female.
Coconuts DNA finally came back it is indeed a boy you were right the seller lied to me. Would it be wrong to split him up from my other male and put in a female ? My other two males are very friendly with eachother and with anyone and don’t seem to ever care if they split or who they’re put with as long as they have anyone else with them. I’m just worried since I haven’t had coconut with anyone else he may become sad if I split him up and then add a female in. Also for future reference since coconut is indeed a male pearl pied split to lutino what should I not breed him with and what can I breed him with to produce pearls or pieds. Thank you again for all your help !

·
Registered
715 Posts
That's unfortunate that they lied to you. It should be fine separating them. Just watch them both and see if they are stressed or calling for each other. To produce pearls, you would have to have him paired with a pearl female. To produce pieds, you could have him paired with a pied female or a split to pied female.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts