Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 5 and a half month old DNA sexed male named Meeko. He has always been a really active boy and a terrific singer and whistler, spending most of his time during the day practicing his songs (when he's not out of his cage with us). About a month ago he had a day of watery, smelly poos. The next few days everything was normal (behaviour and poos) then he went off his food for a few days, always looked tired, was having frequent naps and stopped singing. I took him straight to our local avian vet where they checked his throat/crop and poo - no abnormalities. He had lost 10 grams since his previous visit in October. I asked for them to do a haematology and organ function test - both of these tests also came back normal, apart from slight dehydration (I had put spark in his water to help with the heat, maybe he didn't like the taste) and slightly high cholesterol (which is interesting because he doesn't get many seeds). He had been on a diet of 30% pellets, 10% cooked veg, 10-20% seed and lots of fresh veg (which he loves). The vet asked me to go home and monitor him and put him on 30% seeds until he is back at a healthy weight. His appetite has returned and he has been eating well for about a week and a half but has lost another couple of grams (now at 75g from 87 in October). He is still looking tired and fluffy (when he's not actively foraging), no singing (he still does the normal cockatiel chirp) and his feet feel cold but medically nothing seems to be wrong. I am calling the vet again today to give an update but was wondering if anyone has any ideas of things we may be missing? It is so puzzling and I just want my boy to be back to his happy singing self.

Thank you

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Did they actually culture the poop or just look at it under a microscope? If it hasn't already been done, I'd request cultures to look for things that might not be immediately apparent. Also ask about the possibility of a fungal infection or parasites. Those might not be readily apparent on the tests you had done either.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
totally stumped

I am so sorry to hear your Meeko is not doing well. It sounds like you are taking great care of him, both in his diet and getting him to an avian vet. I am sorry I don't have any advice for you; I think you are doing everything you can at this point. I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way; hope you next visit to the vet will give you some answers. I hope Meeko is back to his normal happy self soon! I am looking forward to hearing a good report!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your kind wishes and suggestions. We took Meeko back to the vet this morning and we got some answers! Giardia and yeast were both found in his poop. He is now on 2 medications for a week and then back to the vet for a recheck. The vet isn't putting all her bets on these things being the causes of his issues, but fingers crossed that they are and that this is the start of his recovery!

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Good! Giardia could definitely be the reason he was acting off, it can make people and animals very sick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts