Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Need Some Expert Tiel Help!

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  FitzTheCockatiel 
#1 ·
Good day,

I have a Bird that is about 1 year old. I got her when she was 2-3 weeks old and then Hand fed her with the syringe and the whole 9 yards. She is Imprinted on me, which is great but does lead to some issues. The first is the Constant what I call mewling, or crying if she is not sitting on my Shoulder. Now I've had many birds over the years, but never anything like this...Serously! She will Literally sit and vocalize over and over every 5-10 seconds for HOURS! It has gotten to the point that I lock her in a Bedroom for Hours so I don't have to listen to it. And lets be clear, this isn't some normal vocalization, this is Mind Numbing, every 5-10 seconds, after an hour or so! As soon as she's on my Shoulder it stops Mostly!

But now sitting on my Shoulder has become an issue. the first 6 months she would sit on my Shoulder and just be a Great Bird! Recently (About the some time she went into her Second Moult) she has decided she wants to Groom the hairs on my Neck/Low head ect. The problem is she has no concept of Proper grooming, because what she does now is Pull Hairs out which is Extremely painful. And I end up pushing her off my Shoulder because it hurts! And of course that starts the same cycle!

Is there any advice to help me with this?

Thanks

Neil

See less See more
#2 ·
I would recommend training her to not pull hair. I don't know about the noises, but every time she pulls hair, push her off (gently) and when she sits nicely reward her and pay attention to her. For the noises, maybe she is too lonely, consider purchasing a partner for her. If you do this remember they may not get along You can not plan to keep them in the same cage if they are not bonded. How open are you to the idea of getting her a friend? Also remember that birds will make noises when you leave, if they like you they want to be near you and you are their flock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.