Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pickles is probably the only tiel in the country that doesn't like spray millet. He tosses it out of his dish and won't even perch near it. That being the case I need to know if there are other tempting treats I can use for training purposes. Pickles is hand shy so I would put the new treat in his dish to see if he likes it and then will move to hand feeding. I'm really bummed about the millet. Sammy and my finches love the stuff.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Is it all millet or just one brand? Joey won't touch the Extreme brand that Walmart sells, or Kaytee that I can find at Rural King. He will only eat Hartz, which the local Walmart used to sell. So, there are my two local options gone. Without driving to another town about 50 miles away, I am stuck unless I order online or stock up when we happen to go there.

Maybe a favorite veggie, or pellets? Joey loves the Zupreem Fruity Blend as treats. He does get the small size mixed in with his food, but seems to think the cockatiel sized ones are treats.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Rocko loves millet the Vitakraft brand but im sure he would eat any he also likes monkey nuts and almond nuts and sunflower seeds as treats I dont like when theres too much sunflower seeds in the bag so I take them out.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I give them sunflower seeds for training. I got some small ones that are hulled. They really like them.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sun flower seeds might be a good treat. I will try those and start trying some fruits too. The millet I use is organic golden millet from Wisconsin. I never thought about him not liking the brand. I will have to switch for him and see what happens.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts